Tres

I was awoken in a rather undignified manner when a pillow was smacked into my face. Frightened out of my mind I bolted upright in bed, hitting my head against the top bunk. It stung a little, but I laughed through my pain with Kimberly, the perpetrator. Paisley was using the bathroom, Elian was mumbling in her sleep and Kimberly had just rolled out of bed. She informed me that we had an hour until we needed to be down for breakfast, so I decided to take a lazy approach in getting up. I was feeling quite tired this morning, meaning I needed one of my many daily coffees to revive me.

Elian refused to get up, burying herself in her covers and mumbling curses at her disturbers. She was certainly not a morning person! Kimberly and I decided to get dressed as the time ticked by and Paisley was still in the bathroom, and I settled on some white shorts with miniature rose's embroided into them, paired with a strappy, ruby-coloured lacy top. I stuffed my hair up into a bun since it needed to be washed, and chose my black cat eye sunglasses and strappy sandals to complete the look. When Paisley was finally done in the bathroom, Kimberly and I hurried in to wash our faces and apply a bit of makeup. Paisley miraculously managed to get sleeping beauty out of bed, panicking her when Elian realised she only had half an hour to get completely ready. Kimberly was ready first and decided to catch up on some reading whilst waiting for the others. When Elian finally stumbled out of the bathroom, I immediately envied her at how she managed to make herself look so beautiful in such little time. I was deeply jealous of her naturally curly hair, the sharp ringlets bouncing with every movement of her head.

When we arrived in the dining room, it was very busy, and seemed to be alive with chatter. Most of the other guests were speaking in a language I didn't understand – probably Portuguese, but I thought it sounded beautiful. I was trying to learn Spanish, which wasn't too different from Portuguese I thought, although I was not skilled in any language apart from American. We spotted Miss Willow eating with the other teachers, and she directed us to find a table and eat until someone comes to collect us. Luckily at that moment a family of four had just finished, so Kimberly, Elian, Paisley and I grabbed that table.

I was very happy to hear that coffee was an important part of the Brazilian's day, being an addict myself, so I ordered a pot for all of us and also some 'Pao na Chapa', which is essentially toasted French bread rolls served with butter, marmite or strawberry jam. My favourite thing was definitely the 'help yourself' fruit stall next to the glass doors welcoming you into the wide, open hall. There was a colourful array of different fruits, forming together to make a sweet rainbow. You could choose to either just take the fruit you wanted, or watch on as a fresh smoothie was made for you by one of the waiters. I chose to have a smoothie called 'acai na tigela', which had frozen acai berries, guarana fruit, syrup and bananas served in a bowl with granola. It was delicious! Kimberly stuck with coffee and 'pao de queijo' – cheese rolls – always preferring simple foods. The most amazing thing about Brazilian breakfast was that it was perfectly acceptable to have cake, although I was already bursting from all of the other food I had consumed, so I promised myself that I would try some the next day. I had brought my camera down to breakfast with me so I made sure to take a few candid photos of Kimberly and the girls at their request, and of the scrumptious foods.