Once

The heat and humidity of the jungle was something I would never get used too

The heat and humidity of the jungle was something I would never get used too. I could not move without touching some plant or tree, the leaves wet and heavy as they stroked my sticky skin. My leggings had holes in them, my water bottle was nearly empty, and we were in the middle of nowhere. I felt as though I had been stumbling over the uneven ground, swatting at bugs and dying for a lie-down for hours, but in reality, we had left the crash site forty-two minutes ago. It was hard leaving as I had to say good-bye to the bodies of my friends, and I truly had to accept that they were gone. However I was also thankful we were leaving - the bodies were beginning to smell, turning my already empty stomach.

We were travelling painfully slow, as James and Elian had problems walking, and we had to pull Liam along, which was tricky as the path wasn't flat and clear. At the moment, Mason was in the lead, followed by Paisley and then me. I had embarrassingly slipped over a few times now, creating cuts on my palms. We had all taken a trip to the ground at one point or the other though, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

For a claustrophobic person, being in a rainforest must be like living a nightmare; even I feel crushed by the sense of oppression and disorientation that infuses the forest.

Periodically the background noise was pierced by birdcalls, but mostly we kept quiet, concentrating on our steps and heading in what we hoped was a straight line. It was quite dark because the canopy was so thick, which meant we were stumbling over hidden tree roots and who knows what constantly. A beautiful vibrant blue butterfly fluttered by and landed in Abi-Mae's knotted tresses, bringing a real smile to her face. She still classified as pretty, even after surviving a plane crash and living in the rainforest for three days, which I was eternally jealous of. I was sure I closer resembled a corpse then an actual person!

Eventually we stumbled into a clearer part of the forest, where a tree trunk so vast resided, it was wider then if all nine of us stretched out into a line! It was giant and thick, and even if I craned my neck to the maximum, I couldn't see the top. We decided to rest against the tree for a little while, as we were quite tired from all of the walking. Abi-Mae and Elian sat down leaning against the tree whilst the other's and I had a look around. I especially was sweating like a pig, and I tried to keep my distance from the others, as I knew I probably stank horrifically. Sadly, I downed the last drops of my water, my mouth still dry even so. My teeth felt disgusting, as my toothbrush was lost in my luggage, so I was only able to use my finger to rub toothpaste around them each morning and evening, which Chip kindly let me borrow.

James spotted a strange creature playing through the leaves on the floor, about the size of a small rodent cat with dull orange fur. We took cautious steps back but the creature wasn't interested in us, collecting nuts in his mouth and feeding on them. Shamefully the first thing that popped into my mind was whether we could eat it, but it soon scurried off frightfully when Elian and Abi-Mae let out god almighty screams. Whipping around, I spotted the girls clutching their forearm and leg respectively, red in the face and screaming in pain. Mason rushed to his girlfriend's side whilst the rest of us hurriedly asked what was wrong, but didn't venture closer for fear that they were bitten by a snake.