Seis

I was numb, floating in a sea of black

I was numb, floating in a sea of black. There was a niggling at the back of my mind, a whisper calling out to me but I wanted to ignore it. Right now, I was... peaceful. Content. But the niggle was consistent and slowly bringing me out of my subconscious. Spots of light started to fill my vision, and suddenly I wasn't feeling so numb anymore, the thick, coppery taste of blood grinding against my teeth, a sharp pain like rocks being dug into an open wound in my collar bone, and my whole body feeling battered.

What happened?

"Juni! Juniper can you hear me?" A voice was getting louder and louder, piercing my ears, and sounded so desperate it was worrying me.

I wanted to assure the voice that I was ok, that they didn't need to worry, but I couldn't seem to move. Something was wrong. I could feel it. Hear it. Taste it. I managed to blink, clearing my hazy vision slightly, and noticed the shape of a person leaning over me. Everything else was blurry, but I could hear the gentle rustle of leaves and the sobs of someone. I wanted to know what happened, but as I tried to move, my neck screamed in protest, too fragile. A silent scream filled my lungs when a blast of pain like a gun shot wound immobilised my left arm as I tried to reach up.

"No don't move, just relax Juni. Relax. I've got you." The voice insisted, wiping away some of my tears.

I did as it said, the voice like a beacon of light in the dark, as a bottle of water was pressed against my lips. After a few greedy gulps, it was taken away, leaving me mumbling in protest. Opening my eyes again, I fluttered away the dots, making out that the person in front of me was James, with a cut on his temple, and slightly hunched over with a grimace on his face.

"J-James?" I gasped, causing a cough to rip out of me, my shoulder throbbing once again.

"It's ok, it's ok Juni. Just relax. Do you remember what happened?" He asked softly, and I gave a soft shake of my head.

"We were flying to Pantanal, remember? In Brazil? And we... we were caught in a storm... the plane was flying too low and got caught in the trees... and then, then it snapped. The front went up in flames then we tipped backwards. I think we were all knocked out for a while... I'm not too sure how long but at least a few hours. Matias woke up first, and tried to rouse everyone but said he couldn't wake you, so I had a try. I'm glad you're ok... well, ok as can be."

As James explained what had happened my pounding headache started to subside, and I remembered fragments of the ordeal... specifically hitting my head on the seat in front of me, which somehow wasn't there anymore. Who was sat there? I thought it was Matthew and Daniel, but I wasn't so sure. Where were they now? Were they ok? Moving my head slightly I could see that the section of plane was on its side, and in front of me was a gaping hole where the front of the plane had been. In its place was a wave of... of textured green, although my eyes were still a little off and I couldn't tell exactly, but my mind told me it was the rainforest.