Chapter Eight

Normani wasted no time when the door finally shut.

"What are you doing, Lo?" She met her eyes. "Girl, I'm going to be real with you. You don't know how it felt the night you lost it. You don't know how worried I was and how worried Dinah and Ally were, too." She looked away from Lauren, tears forming in her eyes. "We didn't know if you were going to make it." She paused, taking a slow breath. "I love Camila, I really do, but I hate what she does to you. You have to believe me, Lauren, when I tell you this isn't going to end well." She watched as Lauren put her hand up to her forehand, massaging it as if she had a headache. "You worked so hard. You can't let yourself end up like you were before." She stifled a sob. "I can't lose you."

Lauren brought her into a hug as Normani cried. "I know." Lauren rubbed Normani's back to comfort her. "I'm trying. I'm sorry." She tightened the hug. "I'm sorry."

They stayed there for an unmeasurable amount of time, thinking about how this was effecting everyone. They both remembered how it had ended the last time and no one was ready to go through that again, but Lauren had tried to suppress her feelings. They weren't going away. She loved Camila, and everyone knew that. It's what scared the girls so much. The future of the group wasn't clear but what mattered most to them was the future of Lauren. Dinah, Ally, and Normani had seen this all before and there wasn't a doubt in the room about how afraid the girls were for her. They remembered the tears, the screaming, the pleading, and mostly the hospital.

Their moment was suddenly interrupted as Camila bursted through the door, screaming "food". Normani and Lauren pulled away, quickly wiping at their eyes and taking slow breaths. Their faces were puffy and it had been evident to Camila they were crying. Dinah and Ally followed in the door, expecting this from Normani's tone before they had left. Normani faked a smile and took some of the food to put it on the table. "Looks great." She forced out, sniffling. The girls remained silent as Normani focused her attention on the task at hand. Dinah and Ally walked over to Lauren whose face was a shade of red, her eyes watery. They hugged her at once and whispered words of friendly love into her ear. Camila was left alone, watching as Lauren smiled at Dinah and Ally's words despite her tears. She walked over to Normani and asked if she needed help. "No." Normani stated. "It's fine. Thanks." Camila returned to her previous state of being alone, taking note of Normani's shortness with her. Great. She thought to herself. Alone yet again. She remained quiet throughout breakfast, but none of the girls seemed to notice. She couldn't blame them, she knew they had been through something with Lauren that no one would talk about, but she was hurt that all four girls would single her out like this. She didn't know when she would be left alone with Lauren again but she honestly couldn't wait. It wasn't about the sex for her but more that Lauren made her feel worth something, made her feel special. She knew Lauren would be upset at first but she needed to talk to her—just not about her feelings, which was what Lauren wanted to discuss the most. This was going to be difficult, but Camila was used to that. Lauren was the only thing that mattered and Lauren knew that. She just hoped that would be enough for now.

-

"This day off tomorrow needs to come quicker!" Ally exclaimed. "I am so excited to not have to rehearse."

"I am so excited to get away from you hoes." Dinah smirked. Ally giggled and lightly hit her on the shoulder. "Y'all are too much." She laughed. They all walked into rehearsal together with the day off tomorrow in mind.

The whole rehearsal, Camila's eyes were on Lauren. She could feel them on her but refused to meet their eyes. She needed time to deal with what she had gotten herself back into and spending time with Camila wasn't going to help.

Camila was mesmerized by Lauren. The sweat beading off of her body with her dark brown locks sticking to her forehead. Camila thought she looked beautiful, especially like this. She was so determined to get the dance, just like she was with anything in her life. Camila smiled to herself at her thoughts of Lauren, something she hadn't done in a while. Thoughts of Lauren usually came with tears and self-hatred, but not now. She was set on trying to make things work with Lauren. She had almost forgotten where she was when a break was announced. As all of the other girls where drenched in sweat from their hard work, Camila was completely unfazed due to her lack of movement. Lauren tried to ignore the small girl approaching by beginning a conversation with Ally but that was cut short by Camila's boldness, something that wasn't like her character. "Can I borrow Lauren?" Camila smiled at Ally. Ally looked at Lauren who gave her a nervous and hesitant nod before walking away to chat with Normani. "Hey." Camila grinned. She swept some of Lauren's loose hair out of her face while keeping her hand there to linger.