25.

....Katie's POV....

My eyes opened slowly, my face felt fat. My head was throbbing. I ran my tongue across my lips, swollen. I groaned softly as I lifted my body up. I was on the library desk? I touched my tender face gently. What the fuck? I pulled my body off the desk, I heard Sam, pleading.

"Sam?" I leaned against the wall resting my hand on my head. "Sam?" I mumbled. What the hell happened? Where were my clothes. Why was Sam crying? What the hell hap- everything flooded back to me. Devin coming into our room gagging and dragging me out. I snapped out of it. Sam. I needed clothes. I opened the side closet in the library finding my old painting clothes. I pulled them on quickly.

I knew how crazy Devin was but I didn't think she would actually pull something like this. This is why I felt so uneasy all night with Sam. I felt somebody watching. I gritted my teeth at my stupidity. How could I have not see this coming? I opened the library door not trying to be quiet.

I heard Sam sobbing on the veranda. I ran towards her. I saw Devin advancing and swinging. Sam's face bleeding on the ground out cold.

My body was aching, but i pushed it aside, seeing her down, hurt, wounded, a rage fired up inside me I didn't know was possible. I hurled myself at Devin wrapping my arm around her neck. Squeezing with all my strength. She tried to claw at my face and my arms but eventually her body gave out. She collapse on the tile beneath us. I pushed myself off of her with all the strength I had left. I pulled Sam inside and locked the doors so if Devin awoke. She couldn't escape. I pulled held Sam against my chest rocking her pleading for her to wake up. "Sam, my love, please." I could feel tears running down my swollen cheeks, "I am so sorry. This is my fault," I continued rocking her.

I heard a bang in my door, then police busting down my door. My body going limp as they hauled me off.

I sat on the back of the ambulance, wrapped in a blanket in a daze, a light shined in my face, "Ma'am we need to ask you a few questions."

I just nodded, "Where's Sam? Is she okay?"

"Yes ma'am the girls fine, just getting a few stitches on her brow. Can you tell me exactly what happened?"

I squinted my eyes. "Devin, attacked us." I put my face in my hand. "Did you get her off the veranda?" Just then they were dragging her out of the house, and putting her in the ambulance. Tears streaming down my face, "I didn't kill her did I?" I looked at the officer pleading for him to say no. He shook his head and patted my arm. Then walked off.

I jumped down from the ambulance, i need to find Sam. Make sure she's okay. I walked over to the other ambulance she was sitting up wrapped in a blanket like i was. An older harsh looking woman next to her. "Sam, are you okay?" I basically threw my arms around her. I touched her cheeks softly looking her over. "O am so sorry, I didn't know."

Her hands were around my waist hugging me tight, "Oh, honey, it's not your fault." She squeezed tightly, and cleared her throat, "Katie, this is my mother."

I pulled away abruptly, then looked at the woman to my left.

"Hello."

I was almost repulsed at her. Rude. Her sneer on her face and the way she looked down her nose like she was better. Instantly I didn't like her, but for Sam I would bit my tongue. "Hello." I offered my hand for her to shake, "I'm Katie." It was bad enough the circumstances we were meeting in, but awkward because we'll it would have to be explained why she was here with me, why I reacted the way I did. She reached out for my hand and shook it. I smiled politely.

"I'm sure you can explain to me why my daughter was here with you. What are you getting her into?"

Sam looked over at her mom appalled. "I will explain that to you, now isn't the right moment for this conversation."

..................................................................................

After questioning us, they finally let us go, and they left my house. Sam decided she needed to go home and have a talk with her mom. She needed to get everything out on the table. I went inside, and closed my door and telling them bye. I flopped on the couch, i needed coffee or wine. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle. I tossed a cup back quicker than I probably should have. I took the bottle and glass with me to my bed where only hours earlier Sam was naked with me. Which was the best night of my life, not only to be ruined by the only person who has ever ruined my life.

I finished the bottle and sighed as my eyes started to close..