Joshaya- Close Enough

It was a night like any other the night it all began. Josh was near the end of staying in the Matthews' guest bedroom for a long weekend because he had the Friday off from his classes, and Maya was spending the night with Riley as she did most weekends.

Sometime in the middle of the night, Maya sighed as she swung her legs over the side of the bed. She wasn't sure why, but she just couldn't sleep. She finally decided to go sit in the living room so that she wouldn't end up waking up Riley with her tossing and turning.

Maya went to the cabinet first to get a glass for a drink of water. "You couldn't sleep either?" a voice said from the other side of the room.

Maya nearly jumped out of her skin. She whipped her head around to see Josh sitting in the bay window. "No," she said with a heavy breath. "I won't ever sleep again if you keep scaring me like that, though," she said.

Josh laughed softly. "Sorry," he replied.

Maya filled her cup with water before walking over to sit next to Josh. The pair began talking about anything and everything. They were just enjoying each other's company.

As the conversation flowed, the pair scooted closer. Josh pulled a nearby blanket over the two of them, a winter chill coming through the window. Maya ended up laying her head on Josh's shoulder, and eventually the pair just sat in a comfortable silence.

After awhile, the pair began to see specks of light in the distance, signaling that the sun was about to rise.

"I should probably get back to Riley's room in case she wakes up," Maya said, beginning to stand.

"Yeah, I should probably try to get some sleep," Josh replied.

The pair began to stand. Maya grabbed the blanket they had used and began to fold it, attempting to make it look like it had never been used in the first place. When she was done, she went to toss it on the other side of Josh. Somehow, she managed to lose her balance.

Before she even realized what was happening, Josh had caught Maya by her arm. The pair chuckled.

"Man, I really do need to go to sleep. My legs have apparently stopped working," Maya said with a laugh.

Josh laughed at her joke, and the pair became lost in each other's eyes. This wasn't a first time occurence, and it certainly wasn't the last. They both had feelings for each other, but neither had acted on it in the fear of ridicule from the world.

However, this morning was different. Maybe it was the lack of sleep. Maybe it was the beautiful sunrise. Neither was sure what it was. But, their resolve faded as they couldn't look away from each other.

Josh was the one who leaned in first, his body taking over before his brain could tell him to stop. Maya leaned in immediately after.

Before their lips met, Josh's brain began to form thoughts.

"Maya, are you sure-" he whispered.

"Shhh," she whispered, closing the gap between them.

It was a wonderful kiss. It was better than any kiss that either had ever experienced. The stereotypical fireworks that are always in books were felt times a thousand. It was amazing.

When oxygen finally became a necessity, Maya was the first to pull away. She began to walk towards Riley's room. For a moment, panic began to fill Josh. Had he done something wrong? Did he just ruin things with the girl of his dreams?

The panic quickly faded when Maya threw her head over her shoulder. "Goodnight, Josh...or should I say, goodmorning," she said with a sly smile before slipping into Riley's bedroom.