Ten Days

Everything seems a bit brighter today! The sun is sunnier! The air is airier! And the clouds are cloudier!

That last one doesn't quite work.

And I really need to improve my vocabulary.

But I bet your question is, "Lira Treviso, why are you so happy?"

Well, I'd say…and then I'd whip out a rectangular piece of thick paper, gold in color and hold it up.

I got the GALA INVITATION!

Oh yes. Let's high-five it.

"Really, Lira, why are you so weird?"

I turn around and Wintar is getting out of his car in front of the school gates.

I don't know what he's talking about until I realize what I'm doing…My arm is up in the air about to give a high-five to an invisible person.

"What do you have there?" Wintar asks walking up next to me.

I proudly show him the gala invitation.

Wintar grabs it. "What is this!"

"An invitation to your father's gala," I say with a smirk.

Wintar shakes his head. "I know that! But why do you have it!"

"Because I talked to Mimi and she said if I can convince over half of the people at the gala to let you stay in America, then you can stay!"

Wintar's head drops in shock. "You talked to Mimi?"

I nod. "Yep."

"And somehow you managed to get a gala ticket?"

"Yep."

"And you're going to attempt to convince these people to let me stay here?"

"Yep!"

"You must really like me."

I smile. "Yep!"

CRAP. Did that just come out?

Sigh.

But what can I say? It's true.

I'm the kind of girl who doesn't notice people often. I mean, in the romantic sense sort of way. So when I do, and if I actually grow to like that person, I end up liking that person for a really long time. And I mean it.

Let's put it this way. My favorite food until I was ten was applesauce. And I never actually even tried applesauce. My mother ate it when she was pregnant with me.

I guess what I'm saying is when I bump into something I like...I LIKE IT A LOT.

So I guess Wintar better be prepared to be Lirafied until he's 27.

Poor guy.

Wintar shoves the invitation back into my hand. "You're crazy."

I straighten the invitation out. "Maybe I am."

Wintar looks away for a second. "So I guess that means we're going together, right?"

"What?"

He turns to look at me and I direct my eyes lower.

"Since you're going to gala now, I guess it means we're going together then, right?"

I shrug. "Well, if you don't want t—"

"We're going together, then."

I grin. "Okay!"

Wintar is quiet for a moment. "You don't even try to hide the fact you like me now or whatever, don't you?"