Pride is Just Another Word for Arrogance

I'm gripping my empty tapioca container so tightly I think it'll break. I'm sorry empty tapioca container. You brought me so much happiness, but right now you're the only one within my angry reach.

As I watch Jeff and Christopher, my mind sends me a wild alarm.

I have to do something! Anything!

My blood begins to rush through me. My adrenaline is rising. I can do anything! I mean, I'm practically becoming King Leonidas himself.

I shoot to my feet.

"STOP!" I yell out. "THIS IS MADNESS!"

I catch myself. That movie quote just had to sneak in too, didn't it?

Everyone turns to look at me. Jeff with a surprised look. Christopher with his dreamy look. And Python and her gang looking rather…menacing.

I don't say anything. I just stand there holding my empty tapioca container.

They continue to stare at me.

"..."

There's only one word for that moment now: uncomfortable.

And, I really wish I didn't eat that tapioca so fast.

"Lira?" Jeff says, surprised.

"STOP!" I yell out again. "Don't kiss him!"

Everyone turns to look at each other, then back to me.

"Um…" Jeff says. "It's kind of already happened."

Right. Of course.

"Well," I say, beginning to feel hot in the face…

"SORRY!" I yell out and run away.

Whoever advised people to just "live in the moment" probably implied that you should also think of what happens after that "moment". I, apparently, did not get that memo.

"There you are!" I suddenly hear a stunningly lyrical voice.

'There you are' isn't exactly something that can be stunningly lyrical, but I know only one person who can do that. I don't even consider the beauty of this boy. I just turn and look at him angrily.

Yeahhhhh, I'm just kidding. I'm looking at his legs and shoes with animosity though.

"What's wrong?" Wintar asks.

"YOU!" I say. "You were the one who put him into the custodial closet!"

There was a short pause.

"I don't think I did," Wintar says.

Oh, in denial are we?

"I believe it was Python and her friends that did that," he says. "And, yes I told them to."

Alright, not that much in denial.

I had more planned out to say, but with Wintar so quick to admit he did it, I was at a loss for words. Don't you hate that? When you're ready to pour out a slew of loathing words only to suddenly find out it's not needed?

"Well!" I say, staring at his knees. I hold up my empty tapioca container. "This was for Aaron!"

"It's empty."

I nod. "YES! It's completely, utterly, and very much one-hundred percent empty! And you know why?! Because of you! And you're going to have to be the one to tell him I won't be hanging out with him today because of you! Live with that!"

Not my best, but I give it a three out of five stars.

"You're awfully redundant."

My shoulders drop. That's what he got out of my chastisement!?