Bad Moods and Sad Moods

The Jeff-impersonator looks down at me when I stop speaking. The easy thing to do would be to whip off that mask, throw it to the ground, stomp on it, and declare aloud the name of the impersonator!

But…

That's not really me. It's simply just not the right atmosphere for it. I mean there's a lovely slow song playing, the moonlight is beaming down upon the dancing mass of people, and…I'm sort of flattered that this person wants to dance with me.

Is that so wrong?

So, instead I take a deep breath and say, "I forgot what I was going to say…"

I think I hear a chuckle from the masked stranger, but it's difficult to make out completely.

He pulls me closer so that my head is resting on his shoulder.

I can feel my face heating up. And my ears.

I sneeze.

Oh no. Not the sneeze.

Some people fidget when their nervous, others start stuttering, but I…sneeze. A lot.

I sneeze again.

I don't do well being this close to the opposite sex. Except for Jeff. But that's because we're practically blood brothers. I mean, sisters. I mean, brothers. Siblings.

There we go.

As I lean back up from the stranger's torso, I suddenly get a whiff of his cologne. It's sensuous, a little musky and before I can smile from the appealing aroma, my body stiffens.

The exact same scent. That day, when I was giving him a tour of the school, I caught a whiff of his cologne, too.

Is this guy Wintar?!

The music ends and the stranger immediately lets go of me and walks away, leaving me there speechless.

Ten minutes later and with only half an hour until the end of the dance, I spot Jeff making his way, if not haphazardly, through the crowd.

"JEFF!" I yell out to be heard above the music. "Where have you been!"

"Python and her entourage cornered me and locked me in the...janitor's closet," he says sounding extremely grumpy.

I don't even know what to say to that. Jeff looks very disgruntled.

Well, if I was locked in a closet full of toilet paper and Windex, I'd be a little bitter too.

"Some guy pretending to be you totally just came up to me and—" I say, but Jeff interrupts.

"And what!?" he says in a slight panic.

"Danced with me," I say finishing.

Jeff slaps his face. "Danced with you?" He begins to mumble and I can only understand a few words. "All this…only for…dance…what the…a grieving whiff…"

What did he just say?

A grieving whiff?

Flatulence?

Or maybe, my rational side speaks out, he said, "Agreement with…"

Well, I guess that works too.

"Wait, you know who it was?" I ask grabbing his arm.

Jeff opens his mouth to say, but he suddenly closes it. His face tenses as if he's trying to make up his mind about something. He looks away and then looks back and finally answers with a, "No."

w w w

"JEFF!" I yell out in front of his house. "Rise and shine!"

I start jumping and flailing to get his attention. I can see him through the window eating his breakfast.