Chapter 17 - A Break

I held my knees to my chest and thought to myself.

What attack? Why can't Dylan tell me about it? Why is he being such a controlling dick?

I knew he would find me any minute, he knew my scent and he had all of the exits closed off so I'd have to stay in the building.

There was a knock on the bathroom door.

Now I was just terrified. Was he mad about the fit I threw earlier, or was he going to punish me for disobedience? All I knew was that it scared me to be on Dylan's bad side.

"Quincy. I know you're in there." I heard Dylan's deep voice say.

I held my breath and paused.

"I can smell you, sweet mate." he said.

I stood up and opened the door. He was standing tall before me, his eyes twinkling as they looked into mine.

"Come with me." he said, leading me to the room with the coffee table and couches upstairs.

I sat on one couch and Dylan sat across from me.

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you. I know that this might be difficult for you to hear, and you need to understand I didn't want to tell you because I wanted to protect you." he started.

"But you really pissed me off earlier." he growled, but almost in a playful tone.

"I'm sorry for what I said, but I hope you know where I was coming from too." I replied.

"I do." he stated.

"The attack that happened yesterday resulted in some casualties of humans." he began.

I raised an eyebrow.

"How many humans?" I asked.

"Around two thousand." he said quietly.

My eyes widened, and my mouth hung open a bit.

"I know what it sounds like, but—" he started.

"It sounds like you massacred my species!" I blurted, standing up and clutching my chest.

I felt the hurt, the betrayal in my heart, and I could tell Dylan didn't know what to say.

"Please just let me explain, Quincy." he pleaded.

"I think I've let you do enough." I said quietly, making my way out of the room. He didn't try to stop me this time.

This heavy weight on my heart only made me want Dylan to hold me more, but clearly that couldn't happen. I didn't know what to do.

I didn't know where to go. So, I just went to the library: a quiet place to clear my head.

The exits were still blocked off, not surprising. I felt so trapped, until I got to the library and sat on the ledge by the massive window overlooking the garden. It was all bright green, with speckles of yellow and purple and red flowers, and it calmed me just to see it, even if I couldn't feel it or smell it beyond the window.

At this point I was sobbing, my emotions were everywhere, and I felt a gentle touch on my shoulder.

"Luna?" a girl asked. She was young, maybe one of the college wolves who lived in the dorms on this floor. She looked concerned for me.

"Are you okay? I think the Alpha is looking for you." she said. My heart stopped, there was no way I could see Dylan again until I got my thoughts in order. I'd say something awful just for the sake of hurting him back.

"I need a favor."

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

The girl's name was Crystal, and she snuck me into her dorm room.

"So you don't want him to find you?" she asked, handing me a glass of water.

"No, I can't face him now." I explained the situation, and unfortunately, the students didn't know many details about the attack either.

"Well you're not going to be hidden very long." she said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Your scent," she chuckled. "You reek of Alpha. His scent is all over you and he'll be able to trace it in no time." she explained.

"Shit. What do I do?" I asked.

"Well... There's kind of only one way to cover up that scent." she said.

"You have to replace it with a new one." she giggled.

"Do you mean...?" I trailed off.

"Yep, you'll need to be peed on. And quick." she said.

Disgusting. But hey, if it meant Dylan not finding me, I was all for it. Crystal explained that since she was a lower female member of the pack her scent probably wouldn't cover up Dylan's. But she called someone whose would.

There was eventually a knock on the door, and Crystal let in a tall wolf.

"You need to go to the bathtub and do it now." she told him. He sighed and led me into the bathroom.

"I'm Eli, by the way." he said as I stood in the tub.

"Quincy. Thanks for doing this, I know it's strange." I replied nervously. I'd never been peed on before. Shocker, right?

I turned around and felt the warm liquid cover my body. God, this guy must have been holding it in for a week.

Finally, it stopped. I could no longer smell Dylan on myself, and it gave me mixed emotions.

Eli left and I sat on the couch after showering, but luckily Crystal said I still smelled like him.

"Thank you for doing this for me," I said. "I know you could probably get in trouble, but I'll make sure if Dylan finds out your name stays out of it." I reassured her.

"It's no problem. I saw you in the library and just felt awful." she smiled.

"Everyone deserves a break."