Chapter 6

Chapter 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While Layla was getting a special remedy from the healer I stayed outside and played around with a bunch of the golden, red and yellow leaves which lay scattered around the base of only some of the trees; most trees here were ever-green. Well I was until Jesse came and knocked down the small pile I was making from whatever leaves were left after winter, with his big feet. Before we knew it we were having a leave fight shoving them down the back of each other’s shirts and trying to get the other to eat them.

“Ah! It’s in my eye! Dirt in my eye!” I shouted holding both hands over my left eye and pacing around a bit. Releasing my eye I started to blink furiously in attempt to get rid of the annoyance I my eye. When I could see well enough I walked over to Jesse and slapped his arm, “Jerk!”

“Hey you’re the one that shoved leaves in my mouth,” he paused to hack-up any remaining pieces of foliage before spitting it out onto the ground and continuing, “besides, it was an accident.” He pleaded his case with me.

“Whatever!” was all I said in response before turning my back to him. “Uhg, oh long does it take to get a wound checked?” 

“I don’t know but I’m bored.” Jesse grunted. I turned to see what was the cause of it to find that he was hanging upside-down from a thick branch doing sit-ups. I simply rolled my eyes at him, guys…

A sudden howl in the still air made me jump and my brother fall from the tree.

“Are you ok?” I asked helping him up off the ground.

“Yeah, all good. What or who was that?” as he looked at me with thanks realisation dawned upon him and we answered in union, “Layla!”

We raced inside our wolf instincts kicking in ‘protect the Alpha’.  We were halted at the door she was behind by Marge, we tried to monomer a way around her but she blocked every movement. 

Jesse growled behind me, but Marge simply put a palm up seizing the noise rumbling though my brother. “She’s shifting and is in a lot of pain. Please wait in the living room with everyone else.”

We did as she asked with reluctance evident. So we sat there on one of the wide blue couches. I sat there staring out the window for god knows how long listening to the whimpers and howls of my best friend, Alpha and someone I would call my sister. Finally the door down the hall opened and out came padding a pure white fuzz ball who jumped onto the bigger of the two couches and laid her head on her two front paws. 

I looked at her leg in curiosity only to have my eyes widen when they saw only a thin cut surrounded by pink skin. She leapt of the couch and stood up in human form before throwing herself at Marge who was only just walking in at that moment.

“Anything for the Alpha.” Marge smiled and hugged her back. Giving a thumbs-up to the folks telling them she was going to be fine. I could see the tension that had been trapped in Will and Hillary’s body release in a soft sigh: thankful for their daughters well being.

“We’ll we’d better get home we have a busy week ahead of us with the full moon and all." Layla said, breaking the comfortable silence that had nestled around us after she pulled away from her embrace.

Her Dad, Will drew a breath as if to start talking but closed it with a mysterious look in his eye mixed with slivers of worry.

“What?” Jesse asked purely out of curiosity.

“Oh, nothing.” I didn’t like the way he said that…

“Ok, well let’s go.” Layla said cautiously as she began to head for the door eyeing off her Dad as if he were a scared deer who was about to run off at any moment.