What?!

"Bad news first." I say.

NO! Whyyyyyyyy!

"Are you sure?" Zak asks

No. I want the good news first.

"Yes. That way the good news makes me happy and I don't strangle you." I say

Zak sighs and I can tell he's rubbing his face on the other side of the phone.

"Zeus got out and was hit by a car. He uhh... he's really hurt. You and Dakota are going back tonight to see him." Zak says

What?

There's a moment of silence between the two of us.

"Faye?" Zak whispers into the phone.

"What?" I whisper.

"You have to say goodbye to Zeus." Zak says softly.

"What's the good news. I swear, Zak, if it's not REALLY good I don't want to hear it." I say holding the tears back

Come on. Keep it together. Keep it together. Just until you can leave your sister.

"Mira is gonna stay with us. Her parents agreed it would be best for you both to live with each other. You've been apart for to long. She'll be coming home after we fill out the paper work." Zak says

"Thank god." I say. "I'll talk later."

I hang up without saying bye and look at Dakota.

"Whats wrong?" He asks softly.

"We're flying back to Vegas. Zeus was hit by a car. He's...... he's dying." I tell him.

Keep it together, Faith.

He hugs me.

"I'm sorry, babe." He whispers.

It's not okay. It's not going to be okay for a long time.

"Come on. We need to go now." I say

"Mira. We need to go. There's a family emergency back home that Dakota and I need to attend to. I'll see you soon." I say handing her the puppy I had in my lap and hugging her.

See you soon Mira.

"See you soon! Be safe!" She says.

Dakota and I leave the pet shop and make our way to the hotel. Zak is already outside with a taxi and plane tickets. He shoves them in our hands and shoves a bag in my hands.

"Clothes and the keys to the house." He says.

We get into the taxi and then we're off. I change out of my jeans and boots in the airport bathroom. I switch into some sweats and beat up vans. Then we sit waiting for our gate to open.

I should have called Nick. I should have called him when I got the bad feeling! Why am I so STUPID?!

I lean forward in my seat, covering my ears with my fists. I start to hit the sides of my head when Dakota puts his own hands between mine and wraps his fingers around them.

"It's okay. You're gonna be okay." He whispers as I breakdown in his arms.

-----

Dakota speeds down to the animal hospital in my car. He's driving too fast and too recklessly. I pray we don't get arrested for speeding. We finally arrive at the hospital and we find Nick pacing in the lobby.

"Oh, here they are!" He says to the lady at the desk

"Down the hall to the left. Second door on the right." She says pointing to the door.