Surprises

I wake up screaming. I thrash under the covers trying to get out. Someone yells in the distance. I can vaguely make out the voice through the nightmare I'm still living.

I need to get out! I NEED OUT! GET ME OUT OF HERE

I feel several things at once. First, someone grabs my feet. Second, someone else grabs both my wrists, and third, the person who grabbed my wrists sits on top of me. My body can't handle the weight but it stopped the screaming.

LETMEOUTLETMEOUTLETMEOUT

I manage to open my eyes a little. Dakota and Zak are there. Zak must have been holding my feet down and then Dakota must have sat on me to keep me from thrashing.

SAFE? BREATHE! RELAX!

"What happened?"

"Are you okay?"

"Get off me. I can't breathe." I growl.

GREATER POWER. USE RESPECT.

"You need to tell us what's going on first." Zak says in his 'Im-so-not-a-dad-but-God-help-me-I'll-use-my-dad-voice-if-I-have-to' voice.

"Why? So you can send me back to the home in Portland?" I snap.

REGRET THAT

I regret it as soon as it comes out of my mouth.

SORRY

"Listen Zak. I know your just trying to help me but I don't want you to freak over everything that's going on in my head." I say trying to wiggle out of Dakota's grip.

don't struggle. It'll only cause you more pain

His biceps ripple as he tightens his grip on my arms. He's holding on too tight and it's hurting me. I whimper under his grip

"Why would you think that?" Zak asks.

He's hurt.

His tone is sad. I know I've struck a nerve. Tears well up in my eyes as I realize what I've done.

Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry

"I've seen it happen. Afsana was sent back twice because of it. All because of how she lost her leg. Melissa, the plane crash. All those girls have been sent back to the home because of what they've seen Zak. I don't want to lose the only people I consider family." I choke out.

Dakota looks at Zak.

What are you thinking?

"Why don't we ask her again in the morning? Right now doesn't seem like a good time." He says quietly.

Yes! Please ask again in the morning

Zak nods. Dakota lets me go and gets off of my chest. I sit up and take Zak by the hand.

"I promise in the morning I'll tell you everything. Just please don't send me back." I mumble.

At least he's not mad

He nods in agreement.

"Just know that I would never send you back and I'm staying with you for the rest of the night. I don't care what you say." Zak says pulling up one of the arm chairs in my room.

"Fine." I say curling back up.

"Me too." Dakota says from the corner of the bed.

"Okay I get why Zak is staying but why are you staying?" I ask.

Aaaannnd your back to being rude.

"Because believe it or not you little shit I care about your well being." Dakota retorts,