Experiment v. Survey

Minho was sent. Just like all the other boys. But that didn't really matter to me. What mattered was that WICKED would complete the serum. The antidote to save the world.

But without realizing, my hand was trembling. From what? Fear? Surprise? Confusion? Stopping myself, I lay down the empty needle and walk into the control room. There were different types of scans and holograms but all of them were managing the maze. I was the puppet master though. Had all the secrets to solving and answering the questions.

Perhaps that is the job of the architect.

One of the assistants approached me and held out a white paper with black ink dotted in the smallest letters possible. I gave a nod to the boy and took it.

"Thank you, Thomas," I give my gratitude.

However, he does not reply but only gives  the usual nod before going back into his seat. I flip and scan through the papers. They had the occasional information; how the males and both females were being experimented in the maze.

Group B was working efficiently, not a surprise; we've sent the most intelligent ones. Group A on the other hand.. was struggling. I already foresaw the events but didn't correctly theorize that it would happen so soon. I prepared the WICKED surveillance bugs and opened up the hologram.

Boys were fighting one another. Blood shed. Anger, betrayal, confusion, desperation, and depression were all pouring out. But none of them were the boys I wanted to check on. The boy I wanted to survey on was him.

Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw a group of 4 hiding in the woods. Pressing the close up button, I concentrate on the faces. Then, I saw him. He was running, wincing with each step he took. I took a deep breath and let out a small word by mistake.

"Survive."