Experiment xxxvi. Burn

"Nike."

I snapped my attention to the person speaking. It was Newt. He was smiling and was currently rubbing the back of his neck.

"Um, yes?" I answered, giving him a staggering smile as well.

Handing out a silver rust bucket, he asks,"Do you want to maybe plant some seeds with me?"

I soften my gaze. Innocent Newt. I took the bucket and nodded, grabbing his hand as a kind gesture. My sudden impact must've been unexpected since I caught a glimpse of Newt's cheeks going slightly pink.

"U-Uh, the farm's that way." he stammered, pointing his finger to the right.

I grasped his hand a little bit tighter and dragged him to the right until I saw the farm. It had a huge wide field. Not that I wasn't surprised with, since my cameras already let me see through the process in the lab.

Newt started going inside the small shed a little far off then stopped at his tracks to look back at me.

"You coming or are you going to stand there like an idiot?" he jokes, smirking playfully.

I roll my eyes softly and follow him before he gets too far away. His greenish brown eyes twinkle in the sun as the smile on his face never disappears.

The door to the shed is opened by one of the keys on Newt's necklace and there, farming equipment and seeds were harvested inside the dark room.

"I'll go get the tomato seeds. You get the corn," Newt orders before searching through the boxes.

Not long after, I follow his actions and look for corn seeds. Hopefully, they had pictures.

Couple of minutes later, Newt had found his tomato seeds while I was still searching through my fifth box. Where the actual hell were the corn seeds?

"Can't find it?" Newt asks, his brows furrowing.

I shake my head but quickly add,"But it's fine. I'm sure I'll be able to find it in time. I won't let you down."

Newt's smile brightens up and he soon begins to open the package for the tomato seeds and oddly, hands it to me.

"Take it and go plant them outside on the third row. I'll look for the corn seeds. They're probably in the back anyway," he suggests, pushing the tomato seeds into my hands.

"But-"

He cuts me off. "-I'll be fine. You're doing so much already."

I sigh with defeat and lightly take the tomato seeds and head outside. The third row was a long way since the field was very wide but I got there without breaking a sweat, luckily.

Crouching down, I dug a small hole in the fertilized fresh dirt and planted a small seed inside. Then another seed. After an another seed. One seed at a time. As I kept going closer to the end, a strange stench arose. It smelled weirdly like... smoke.

I laid down the package and coordinated where the smoke was coming from. The woods? Why would there be- the Map Room. My senses suddenly alerted every single part of my body and I dashed as quickly as I could to the Map Room, begging for it to be alright.

The smoke became thicker and it made it harder to breath while sprinting. These broken branches tangled my way as I struggled to find the Map Room.

Then, I finally approached it. But it wasn't even a room anymore. It was on fire. I gasped as the maps one by one burned in the ashes. Bracing myself, I knew there were still some that could still survive, and ran in, covering my nose because of the toxic smell.

The inside was crumbling into pieces. I could see the model of the maze that every runner had worked on tearing in the flames. The wood melted away as if it was such a weak victim to its predator. I held back the tears and looked around for the remaining maps.

Finally, I had found two on the floor and grabbed them just in time. However, the ceiling cracked and a piece of thick wood fell the way I came from. Looking around for another exit, my sight became blurry. I was losing oxygen. There was just too much carbon dioxide in my lungs.

Holding the maps to my chest as tight as I can, I coughed. My legs were growing weaker and they were running out of strength to keep me up. My throat was dehydrated so screaming wouldn't have helped.

Maybe, I could die here? Was this WICKED's test? To see how long until this small girl would be able to hand us information then get rid of her? Was I just another tool? It felt horrible and I was deeply ashamed.

Tears crawled up until I couldn't walk and I collapsed on the ground. Orange and red fiery flames surrounded me. This was the end. I knew it. My eye lids slowly began to droop as sleep dosed itself onto me. I tried to battle against it, but what was there left for me anymore? I was always being used anyway...

"Nike?!"

Wait.

That was Minho.

hope you readers liked it (; comment, vote, or even follow !