Chapter 22

Day 7 in Windrixville; morning.

Johnny's POV

The white lights blinded me, and it took a few seconds before I could see again. Even then, everything was blurry.

I saw a few people looking down at me, but I couldn't identify them.

"Oh, Johnny! You're awake!" A familiar voice said, over the chatter of the room. I immediately recognized it as Ponyboy's.

I blinked a few times, and everything became a little bit clearer. I tried to sit up to see him, but winced as a terrible shock of pain shot through my back.

I winced, and the overall noise of the room increased. A nurse came over and pushed me back down, murmuring for me to stop moving and that I'll be perfectly okay soon, and other generic things that I tuned out. She actually strapped me down to the bed this time, so that even if I wanted to, i couldn't get up.

I huffed. All the bustle eventually died out, and I felt myself zoning in and out. Whether it was out of boredom or sickness or what, I didn't know.

I saw the nurse saying something to Ponyboy out of the corner of my eye, before she walked out and left us to our own.

Ponyboy pulled up a chair, and even though I couldn't really move since my bed was restricting me, he held my hand in his.

"Hi there, Johnnycake," he murmured, smiling solemnly, "How are you doing?"

I thought for a moment. "I don't really know," I chuckled a bit at that, but stopped quickly when I discovered laughing hurt. "No one's told me how I am, yet." He seemed to smile when I laughed, but it quickly faded when I stopped out of pain.

He just nodded slowly for a moment. "They told me that you didn't break your back or anything, but you've got some burns and a fractured left wrist, but other than that, you're okay." Pony smiled that time, really smiled, and I felt that warm feeling in my chest again.

I smiled, too. "That's not too bad," I said, "When do they think I'll get out of here?"

"I'm not sure, but it can't be more than a day or two."

I stayed quiet for a second, before starting to speak again: "I wanted to, uh.. ask you this before everything happened, but I didn't have the guts.. so... Ponyboy, will you be my real-actually-official-boyfriend?"

He opened his mouth to respond before a nurse opened the door and told us that my heart rate had gotten too fast, so Ponyboy had to leave for a moment to let it go back to normal.

He smiled, obviously amused with himself. I bit my lip to keep from laughing.

"Answer's yes, by the way," he called, while a nurse was ushering him out the door.
I grinned to myself, shaking my head ever so slightly. What ever am I to do with that boy..

Ponyboy's POV

It had been a few minutes since they ushered me out of the room, when I realized I forgot to tell Johnny about the fact that the cops had gotten onto us and would probably take us to trial after we left the hospital.
I realized all over again that if we were proven guilty, then I would lose him. Just after we became real-actually-official-boyfriends.

I slumped further down in my hospital lobby chair.

I swallowed thickly, and decided not to think about that. When I zoned back in, I saw Johnny's mother walk into the lobby.

"Hello, Mrs. .. er.. Ms. Cade," I said, mentally cursing at myself for that one.

She looked amused. "I know what happened. I'm not mad, I just want you and Johnny to be safe." The exhausted-looking woman smiled slightly, "And Jennifer is just fine," she added, before walking up to the front desk and introducing herself.

They decided to let her talk to Johnny first, since she's his immediate and actual family.

I sighed, picking up a newspaper someone who sat in the chair next to me had left.

I looked at the front headlines again, and wondered: Oh, Johnny, what have we gotten ourselves into?

a/n: didn't feel like editing lmao hope you enjoyed!!