Chapter 17

Status: Day 2 at the church; Evening.

Johnny's POV

I huffed, fiddling with the small bottle of chemicals. I was sat on a box in the corner of our small church, patiently waiting for Ponyboy to either wake up, or for myself to get tired.

I was rather surprised he was able to fall asleep, since ibuprofen usually prevents that, but Ponyboy's a deep sleeper. Some part of my mind told me to go lay down with him, but I shoved it away.

Anyway, I'd gotten back that morning and given Ponyboy some medicine. I hid the hydrogen peroxide from him, though, because I knew he'd flip out if he knew what I wanted to do with it.

I saw him stir after a little bit, my breath catching in my throat.

"Johnny?" He murmured, squinting around the room. I smiled softly, getting up from my spot and sitting back down a foot or so from him. As much as I'd have loved to sit right next to him, I didn't wanna get sick.

I heard a mumble of "Good morning," along with a yawn.
"Evening, sleepyhead," I replied, biting back a smile.

"Mm.. whatever.." I chuckled, looking down at my unusually fidgety hands. Based on how Pony was acting right now, he was definitely loopy. Whether the medicine or the fever did it to him, he was tripping.

"You need another dose?" I asked, reaching for the small medicine bottle. I'd only given him half the serving amount for a 14 year-old that morning, so he'd be fine with another.

He just shook his head, gazing at me in thought.

"You know, Johnny," he began, "I've been thinking about it for a long time... and I think I really like you." Ponyboy stammered, biting his lip.

My heart stopped. I could've sworn the world stopped spinning and we both stopped breathing and everything just stopped. Just for a moment.

I shook my head, the truth finally seeping its way into my head, "No you don't," I murmured, "You're loopy. You don't mean that."

"Sure I do!" Ponyboy replied, looking genuinely surprised, "Johnnycake, you know I mean it."

"I.. I don't know, Ponyboy," I hesitated, before adding, "Tell me in the morning."

"I can show you now."

I kept my head down, until I felt his hand on my cheek. I looked up, to be met with those green eyes. His ocean eyes, if the ocean was green, I always liked to say.

He started to lean in, and I swore my throat closed up again.

I felt his hot breath graze my cheek, and my eyes flitted down to his lips. The lips I'd spent so many nights wishing for. But not like this.

I pulled away, just before he could place his lips on mine.

"Johnny-" He started to say, but I cut him off. "No, Ponyboy. Not now, and not like this." I kept my eyes on my own feet, despite the pure adrenaline and anger coursing through me. "Not when you're not thinking straight."

"Go.. go back to sleep.." I'd sighed out, grabbing my jacket off the table next to me.

He complied, and without another word, I exited back out through the wooden doorway, longing to be alone. Just for a moment.

a/n: hope y'all enjoyed! Let me know if you
find any mistakes and I'll see y'all on Thursday!