Chapter 12

Johnny's POV

I gulped.

"W-what do you mean?" I stammered, mentally cursing myself for the stutter than only came when I needed the most to keep my voice steady.

Soda's eyebrows shot up, and he grinned. He was clearly amused.

"That's what I thought-"

"Hey! What's what you thought?" I questioned, though I knew exactly what he was talking about.

Sodapop just chuckled, and grabbed his hat off the counter.

"Just treat him well, aight? I see the way he looks at you, and I know my baby brother." He winked at me, and was gone.

I was slightly stunned, but also relieved someone else had taken notice of our interactions. I'm just glad I wasn't making it all up in my head.

I swallowed thickly, and got up, pushing my chair back under the table.

I'm not sure I can even look at Ponyboy until my face cools down.

Later that night, the whole gang was residing at the Curtis house. Two-Bit was drinking, Dally was loathing, nothing out of the ordinary. Pony was sketching, stretched out on the couch, although he had his sketchbook up on his knees. I guessed it was placed there specifically so that we wouldn't see what he drawing. Didn't bother me too much, though, I understood.

Soda and Steve were at Steve's house, ( ;> ) and Darry was reading the newspaper, per usual. I was trying to actually watch what was on Tv, leaning against the couch, but it was difficult, considering Dallas and Two-Bit's conversation was probably as loud as a 200 decibel rock concert.

I yawned, running a hand through my hair. I was tired, mostly tuning out everything I heard. I glanced up at Pony. I knew he'd positioned his sketchbook in such a special way just to make positively sure we wouldn't see his drawing, but..

Yes, I was aware of that. However.. I was curious. And curiosity always wins.

I scooched back a little bit, peering over his shoulder.

Ponyboy almost immediately turned around to look at me, with one eyebrow raised. He flipped his sketchbook shut, smirking, like he knew exactly what my plan had been.

"Tryin' to look, are we?" He joked, but my face turned pink.

"Definitely not," I replied, trying my hardest to muster up the courage to sound confident enough that maybe it would pass as the truth.

"Sure," he said, setting his sketchbook down on their coffee table. He scooted off the couch, and lowered himself down to sit on the floor next to me. "I'll show you once it's done."

I nodded, but I wasn't really listening. The only thing I could think about was how my skin was grazing his.

We sat, completely contently watching the television, until Dal and Two spoke up.

"Hey, lovebirds," he began, causing my stomach to flip, "we're heading to crash a party at Buck's. Care to join us?" Two asked, motioning with his beer can as he spoke.

I glanced at Ponyboy. The desperate look in his emerald eyes said 'please don't make me go'.

I shifted my gaze back towards Two.
"Sounds fun, but we'll have to pass. Thanks, though, Two."

Two-Bit shrugged, while Dally was already practically pulling him out the door.

"No sweat, Johnnycake. Catch y'all later! Bye Darry!"