41 - No cucumbers

Start from the beginning

Cameron took the infant carrier out of the backseat and Lana looked at the little face with tulip lips which quivered in her sleep.

"Oh wow! You're so lucky."

"Are you okay, hun?"

"Yeah, guess who's calling me almost every day?"

"Adam?"

"No thank God. He's a coward."

"Who?"

"Erik."

"Why?"

"We're trying to be friends."

"Again, why?"

"He lets me bitch about Nora."

"Be careful."

"That's exactly what Ryan said."

"So Rye groveled and you're friend again."

"That's pretty much it. He hired me too."

"Oh right. His cottage."

"It's ugly."

"What's ugly?" Ryan suddenly appeared with Will.

"Your cottage." Lana tried to sound like she was teasing rather than insulting.

"It is, but Alex and Jen will help change it. Will wasn't as tactful."

"Will, you keep growing up. I bet you had the girls on the beach swooning all summer." Heidi tried to pinch his cheek, but he stepped away.

"Don't even go there!" Lana exclaimed catching Ryan's eye who nodded.

Heidi didn't miss anything. "What? There's a story here."

Will shook his head. "I'm outta here."

Both Ryan and Lana yelled at the same time. "Behave!"

"You two sound like his parents." Lana shifted her feet. She didn't want Heidi to get the wrong idea about her and Ryan. Lana was with Adam all summer. She and Ryan were and could only ever be friends.

"My brother should have been shipped home, but Ryan kept him out of trouble."

"I'm not sure about that. Will was hanging around with a female version of Adam and he was the one on the side and it didn't bother him." Ryan shared his opinion.

"Sounds like an exciting summer. I'm sorry I missed it."

"If you hadn't then I would have." Ryan reminded her.

"Oh Rye, I'm glad you had a good summer." Heidi casually put her arms around him and hugged him. Lana watched as he hugged her back as if it was the most natural thing.

Cameron came out of the office where he was setting up his computer. "I turn my back and you're trying to steal my wife again."

"Nah, but I'll steal a beer if you have one." Ryan looked happy and relaxed. These were his people, Lana realized for the first time.

"He does." Lana answered.

Ryan looked at her. "Of course he does, your service is one of a kind."

She felt the heat rise into her cheeks over his compliment. She didn't respond and looked over at Grace who was stirring. She crinkled up her little face before she let out a loud squawk. As Heidi undid the fasteners and lifted her, she cooed. "Baby's hungry."

"Oh, Lord! I just spend an entire summer running from Maddie's boobs."

Cameron laughed. "Come on, let's go out on the deck."

Once the men left, Heidi looked at Lana. "It's weird seeing you two as friends. I never expected it." She didn't give Lana a chance to respond. "Not as weird as you talking to Erik. What the hell is wrong with you? You can never go back to him!"

"What? No! Listen, the whole thing with Adam might not have been what I thought it was, but I learned a few things from it."

"Such as..."

"Well let's just say, I didn't know how good it could be. Sex with Adam was so much better."

"You'd been together for years."

"Yeah and we started out not knowing what we were doing and continued. So Adam opened up a whole new world to me." Lana whispered because she didn't want them to hear on the deck.

"Just focus on the fling aspect of your time with Adam. Who cares if he's a slime, you had fun, right?"

Lana nodded. Heidi was partly right there were certain aspects she didn't regret. She hated being a fool though.

"So he's hot? Do you have any pictures of him?"

Lana shook her head. "No, I deleted them all. You'll have to ask Maddie or Jack. Ryan wouldn't have any, he doesn't even like him too much."

"I thought he was his client."

"Yeah, but even without the other girl, he didn't think Adam was good enough for me. Seriously, it wasn't like I fantasized about marrying the man. You're right he was just a fling, why didn't I recognize it at the time?"

"Maybe because you never had anything but a serious relationship. This is a new world for you. You and Ryan get along, maybe you can try him out and report back. I've always suspected he would be something special under the sheets."

"Heidi! No way! To think he thought I was the cheap one who couldn't be your friend. He has no idea what you were like when you were single."

"Um, no and let's keep it that way, please. Cam knows just enough."

Cam came through the door. "What's all the excitement?"

"Nothing!" They both responded in unison.

"I need to go home. I have a busy day tomorrow. Good night. I'm so glad you're here."

"Bye, honey."

As Lana lay in bed thinking about their conversation, she wondered about Ryan. She had seen him shirtless enough to want to run her hands over his smooth, strong shoulders and forearms and she could go on. Girl, it's not happening. The friend zone is exactly where we belong.