"Oh shit!" Ryan could hear him speak to Lana. "Lana, Ryan reminded me I forgot to do something. I've got to go across the street."

Ryan stepped out and informed his guest Adam was on his way. Before he could stop her, she rushed out the front door.

The events unfolded in slow motion. Adam started across the street. Lana stood in the doorway watching him. Ryan saw a blur as the young visitor ran to meet Adam by throwing herself at him and attempting to remove his tonsils with her tongue. On instinct Ryan ran to a shocked Lana.

The minute he said her name she snapped. She lashed out at him worse than she had her ex. The pain of betrayal filled her eyes. He tried to reason with her.

"Lan, let me explain... please."

"You lying son of a bitch, get out of my sight! I hate you!"

"Come on. This isn't my fault."

"Bull shit! You knew and you were my friend!"

"I didn't know and I am your friend!"

"Fuck off!" She slammed the door and he could hear her sobs.

Ryan hung his head and walked back wishing he could cut Adam's balls off. Instead of going in, he turned and walked toward Shore Road. He walked down the beach, past The Beach House. The music was loud, and they packed the deck. It was just getting dark, and he saw Will up near the dunes alone with Cassie. He thought about walking by, but Lana needed someone.

"Hey." He approached the couple.

"Ryan! What're you a stalker?"

"No, listen. Lana's upset and she's blaming me. I didn't know, honest."

"Know what?" Will was concerned.

"That Adam had another girl. She showed up and your sister unleashed on me."

"I gotta go."

Ryan looked at the girl. "Hey Cassie does Rory know you hang out with Will?"

"No. Sam would tell."

"You think no one will get hurt, but they do." Ryan walked away feeling frustrated and depressed.

He walked until he reached Gull Road and knocked at Jack's door. Maddie answered and took one look at him and grabbed his hand.

"Ryan, what's wrong?"

"Jack, your..." He looked around and didn't see any children, "... fucking friend!"

Jack stood up. "Go to the porch. I'll get some beer."

He sat on a comfortable sofa. Thankful, it wasn't his mother's old wicker furniture.

Jack sat down and handed him a bottle. He took a long pull and felt Jack's eyes on him. He finally spoke. "Remember that young thing he took to the ball game?"

"Yeah, he told me it didn't last, but I saw her last week. She was crying. I thought she was crying because she couldn't get over him or his bank account. I asked if she'd been around before, none of our staff had ever seen her."

"I saw her, she just knocked on my door!"

"What! What about Lana?"

"She's blaming me!"

"Why did you know?" Jack accused.

"I knew at the beginning, but I thought he ended it. I was stuck. He's a client. I had to tread lightly. I really thought. I never asked."

"No, this isn't your fault. I could wring his neck!"

"I want to cut his balls off. I feel guilty coming to you. Can you pretend you don't know?"

"He'll have to tell me something. He's been up every weekend for two months."

"Lana hates me." Ryan groaned.

"You like her?"

"No, not like that! She's my friend."

"Yeah, Maddie was my friend."

"Doesn't matter even if I wanted more she's looking for what you have and me... well you know what I think of marriage."

Jack nodded. "Where's Adam now?"

"Probably fucking his girl. I don't know after Lana slammed the door in my face, I walked down the beach and ended up here."

"He's your client, but you aren't a lawyer or a priest."

"I know, but I learned the hard way to keep business and personal separate."

"What d'you do? I'm assuming you seduced the wrong woman."

"I cared for the wrong woman and crap... It's embarrassing."

"Come on, Ryan trust me. No matter how much of an asshole I think you are, you're still my little brother and I love you."

"You're a bigger ass, but same for me. We're two saps."

"Oh Rye, you have no idea how sappy I am."

"I didn't do anything wrong."

"Just spill!"

"Her name is Isobel. I really liked her."

Jack shook his head when Ryan finished his story. "You should have had her arrested."

"I keep hoping for word of an affair or some other gossip around town to make them forget me."

"So that's why you're here?"

"Yeah, but I have to say it's been my best summer since... since we were kids."

"Yeah, well The Point is a magical place. What are you going to do about Adam?"

"Hope he leaves at first light."

"In all the years I've known him, he's never done anything like this."

"Yeah well... Hey, where's Rory?"

"I let her go to the movies with Sam."

"Are you going to let her take driver's ed?"

"I guess I'll have to."

"Did Maddie convince you?"

"Mostly Pam, but Maddie is happy with my decision."

"She's a good kid."

"Yeah she is." Jack looked proud.

"I can't hide all night. Don't let Maddie know I knew. She likes me."

"Yeah okay. I'm genuinely happy you like my wife."

"Good night Jack. Thanks."

"Come here." Jack gave him a man hug and Ryan thought one rift healed another made.