28 - A little excitement

Start from the beginning

"Jack lives here year round. He turned our cottage into a house."

"Dad said your folks bought a condo."

"Yeah and Jack married Maddie Evans."

"You've never married?"

"Nope, I have no plans to. You happy?"

"Happy enough, but every once in a while I need a little excitement, if you know what I mean."

Ryan watched as Dougie scanned the crowd. He was looking at the women. Ryan felt seventeen again and worried about peer pressure. He never worried about it then. If Dougie found girls then he would expect Ryan to what? Keep one of them happy, but he wasn't interested. He went away to get rid of problems caused by a woman. He was getting along with Jack and if his brother found out, he would disapprove. Jack wasn't perfect because he got Maddie pregnant, but at least they were in a relationship. The thought of Jack telling his teenage daughter made Ryan smile - the daughter Jack worried about being on the beach with her boyfriend.

Ryan really hoped Doug wouldn't attract any woman as he finished his beer and ordered another round. Ryan was halfway through his second when a woman pushed between their bar stools attempting to order drinks from the busy bartender. He could smell her perfume. The scent gave him a headache, as it reminded him of Isobel. Doug wasn't bothered by it and offered to get the bartender's attention. He ordered two lychee martinis. "Put them on my tab."

She began to argue with platitudes. "You didn't have to." All the while she assessed Doug and eventually smiled. "Thank you. My friend and I appreciate it."

Ryan watched as she waved across the room and held up her glass. He didn't even turn around because he knew they were being joined by a second woman. Great one for each, but Ryan didn't want one. He had to turn for introductions with McKenna and Brooke. Brooke, the second to arrive, didn't even hide her appraisal of Ryan. He bit his tongue because he wanted to ask if he passed. The problem was she didn't pass for him because she was loaded with silicon. He hated silicon and overlooked the fact when he got involved with Isobel and refused to make the same mistake again.

It was too loud to talk, so he just nodded his head and pretended to listen. It wasn't until Dougie was paying the tab he realized he agreed to bringing their new friends back to the cottage.

Once on the beach, Dougie said, "We should go for a swim in the pool."

Ryan wanted to run the other way, but he tried to be polite. "Are you staying on The Point?"

"We've been here for a week and head back to Connecticut tomorrow," said the one who thought he was hers.

It relieved him they would not be around longer. If he caved, he wouldn't have to worry about seeing her again. She wasn't bad looking, but he just wasn't interested in continuing his reputation.

As they walked up the street and to the door of his cottage, he kept looking around hoping no one would see them. He really didn't want Lana to find out and did not understand why it mattered. He was working hard to convince her he was not the jerk he had been when they first met. Unfortunately, he kept failing, because he had trouble embracing her relationship with Adam and she knew he had an issue with it.

Both of his guests were impressed with the cottage and as Doug led them out to the pool, Ryan asked if anyone wanted margaritas. He might as well get rid of the poison. He made them strong and pour each girl a glass. Dougie declined, and Ryan brought out a beer for him and a bottle of water for himself.

"You're not drinking?" Doug was disappointed.

"Nah, I don't drink like I used to."

The sweet liquid went down fast as the woman prattled on about nothing Ryan was interested in. He heard the word divorce and tuned out the ex-husband bashing while feeling smug he was smart enough not to fall for the marriage trap. He refilled their drinks and went inside to make more.

Brooke went to use the bathroom and found him in the kitchen with the blender whirring. She put her hand on his arm. He didn't feel a thing and was glad. He would have trouble if his libido betrayed him.

He looked at her. "Just so you know, I came here to get away from a woman and I'm on a fast."

"A fast?"

"Yes, from women and sex for the summer."

"You're kidding!"

"No, the old me would probably already have you in the other room, but..."

She turned around and walked past him back onto the deck. When he followed her, he found Doug and the other one in the pool and they weren't in their clothes. Ryan refilled the glasses and turned and went inside. She followed him. "I guess you don't want to swim."

"No, I swam earlier. If you don't mind, I think I'll watch the game."

"I think I'll go back to the bar."

He watched her leave and turned his attention to the TV. He didn't want to think about what was happening in the pool. What happened to fidelity? Doug was no better than the jerk Lana married - worse because he had kids.

He gave up on the game and went to bed, glad the bedroom door locked. When he woke early to meet Jack and Maddie for their run, he wasn't sure what to expect. Doug was passed out on the sofa. The girl was gone. By the pool was the empty margarita pitcher and dirty glasses, but no stray clothing. One good thing came out of the night, the tequila bottle was finally empty. He would never buy that shit again.

Jack looked at him. "Tough night?"

"Not for me. I went out with Dougie and let's say he hasn't changed."

"And you have?"

"Yeah, I have. There's a pissed off girl somewhere who didn't like I turned her down. Dougie didn't turn his down, and he's married."

"Creep," Maddie said.

"Where d'you meet them down at The Beach House? Everyone knows it's easy to hook up," Jack said.

Ryan nodded and Maddie laughed and punched Jack in the arm. Ryan wondered what all that was about, but didn't ask. For a minute he was jealous of their little inside joke. There were definitely some benefits to marriage, but he wasn't about to admit it out loud.