Prologue: The Meeting

While Mrs. Bennet was talking about Netherfield Park being let at last by a handsome single gentleman who earned about 5 thousand pounds a year, one of the Bennet sisters were seated in the same room as them. Nevertheless, her mind was too occupied in the ledgers of her father's estate that she barely registered the talk.

"Adele," called Mrs. Bennet and this was when her eyes shot up and her trance was broken.

"Yes, Mumma," she asked with a confused look over her countenance on seeing her mother's not so pleased expression, "have I missed something?"

Her father snorted behind his book and his shoulders shook from silent laughter. "Oh no, dear!" Said he, "there was nothing worth your while."

"Oh! Mr.Bennet! How can you say so? Adele is 24 and still single. It was certainly worth her while and what could be if not this?"

"Then do enlighten her my dear. For she is far superior to her sisters and is more certain to catch this Mr. Bingley of yours than them."
____

"Mr. Bingley?"

Adele nodded in agreement with Jane while combing her hair. They were in their shared chamber with Elizabeth and it was time to go to bed.

"Then any of you two are more likely to catch him," said Elizabeth with eyes twinkling with excitement.

"Dear sister, men are not pheasants that are caught. They are mere humans with little head and eyes on almost every woman worth their while. Besides, do not dare count me in matchmaking of yours, if you want to get married and have children before your death."

Jane giggled at her elder sister who tucked at her newly made braids in response.

"Oh no! Let me be a good aunt first of the children of yours. For who would tell tales of your mischief if not I," Lizzie said with mirth.

"You dream a lot Lizzie, for that day is hard to come."

"Why so, Ady?" Asked Jane in her good nature.

"Jane, let it be. I am in no humor to tell you now. Have a good night, you both."

After the greetings were exchanged and the three slept soon after.
______

"Ady! Did you hear? Father has talked to Mr. Bingley already, but only this morning."

Adele had just come from around to the tenants when Lydia came jumping like a rabbit to herself. The news was a shock to her as she had no expectations from her father to do so. She was well aware of the following things in the household and that she too would be thrown on that man's way.

"Oh dear," she muttered to herself before rushing to her father's study. She was greeted by a very hearty smile.

"My dear Ady, how are you this afternoon?"

"Would have been much better if Lydia would have deprived me of pleasure of learning the thundering news of the day."

"Yes," sighed he, "but I did want your mother to be happy-"

"So that she would not complain of her nerves and you can peacefully remain in this study of yours without any problems."

Her curt manner made her father look at herself. Her face was deprived of any emotions and he could only tell she was angry by her violet-blue eyes looking like a lightning storm. He mumbled an apology, halfheartedly meaning it.

She sighed. "Father, you know what had happened to me. I would not like to be thrown in the way of every eligible rich man who settles in our neighborhood. Though she won't listen and I would have to flatter that filthy rich spoiled man."

"You know him?"

It was a rapid and shocked response of him as his eyes shot to hers. She had a sheepish expression for the question.

"No, I have not even seen him, though I am sure he would be so. Almost all are."

"He is not, Adele, he is not as you think of him to be. He is an amiable soul to be sure and nothing you are prejudiced to believe."

"Then, he would be best for Jane, wouldn't he?"

"You just sound like that mother of yours."

"I am her daughter after all."
___

It had been quite a few days and Adele was returning from her turn over her father's estate. A tenant of his, Mr. Doe, had got sick and she had gone to offer a basket and assured him that there would be no problem if he yielded less. The estate was still capable of giving him what he got every time and the loss can be compensated from the reserve she maintained for her father

The day was beautiful and she sighed to keep her temptation to stroll in check before getting inside the house and into the study. She opened the book of her father and started to read. She was surprised that her father was nowhere to be seen. Suddenly, there was a rush, and footsteps were heard approaching the door. She thought them to be of father and Mr.Sattler, the old and faithful steward. The door opened and she looked up smiling.

There were his father and another man in a blue coat. She stood up immediately as she did not recognize him at all.

"Ah! Adele, there you are. This is Mr. Bingley," he addressed her and then turned to the man, "sir, this is my eldest, Adele."

Bingley bowed with a wide smile and Adele gave him a quick courtesy. She knew she was the only Miss Bennet given the privilege of meeting him. This was because his father did not want her to be prejudiced against the gentleman and the doubt was cleared when Mr. Bennet gave herself a wink.

"It is very good to see you, ma'am."

"The sentiment is returned. I hope you like it here at Hertfordshire."

"Oh yes! The people are very friendly and good-natured. I love it here."

"And I have heard that Netherfield had rather a big library?"

Mr. Bennet smirked, "she shares my favor in reading."

"Oh yes! It has. Though I don't have good reading skills. I cannot sit in one place with a book."

"That nature of yours reminds me of the sister next to me. She would have agreed to you, sir, I am sure. Wouldn't have she, papa?"

"Surely so, my dear."

Mr. Bennet could see the matchmaking of his eldest lady, though said nothing. The rest of the time went merrily and Mrs. Bennet even invites him for dinner, at least three courses.
______

"Is he handsome?" Asked Lydia turning Adele by her arm towards her.

"Is he amiable?" It was Kitty this time.

"He is rich enough, so how does it matter if he even had warts?" Elizabeth commented and all the Bennet girls laughed.

Mr. Bingley had been long gone and Adele was in the parlor with her sisters.

"Though, he doesn't have any. The thing is that he is handsome and amiable. He is much like Jane and even kindly responded to some hideous questions of Mumma. Though he is a bit goofy, we can overlook that due to his fortune, cannot we?"

Adele winked at Jane and the latter blushed ever so lightly that it was just Elizabeth and Adele who noticed it.