Chapter 2. "The Escape of the Heir."

Start from the beginning

"Use it only when you are in the greatest danger. It shall summon help," the tutor explained before hesitating for a second. Then, he grabbed his student's arm. "Everything you know is about to change."

Without waiting for an answer, Cornelius smacked Destrier, sending Caspian off before he had the chance to stop him.

Reluctantly, Caspian focused on his most pressing task. Escaping that castle alive.

Gazing quickly as he rode fast towards the main gate, Caspian took notice on the guards starting to surround him. He felt a small flicker of concern and gazed around, trying to come up with something to use for his advantage.

As two guards ran towards the prince, one of them holding a lance, he quickly ripped the lance from him, pushing them both to the ground using Destrier against them. He broke the lance so it wouldn't be used against him and unsheathed his sword, killing another soldier as four others stood blocking the gate, holding lances in his direction.

Caspian spurred Destrier forward and both of them jumped over the guards and past the gate before it closed with a loud clang.

Caspian didn't stop to look behind. Using the advantage he had managed to obtain, he quickly crossed the bridge and rode towards the edge of the forest.

As he was about to enter it, he heard the distinct sound of fireworks exploding into the sky and gave a quick glance back.

The castle was celebrating the birth of their lord's son and heir.

Glancing down at the gate for a moment, he took notice of several riders crossing it so he continued galloping towards Beruna, deciding on the spur of the moment that if he crossed it's river and hid in the woods, he just might be able to lose them.

Everyone knew ordinary telmarines were afraid of the woods. Thankfully, he was anything but that.

The chase seemed to last for an eternity. As Caspian heard his hunters follow him into the woods, he was even more sure they had been sent by Miraz.

If there was anything telmarines feared more than the forest, that was Miraz.

Caspian tried not to think of how that worsened his situation. It meant they would not stop until they could bring Caspian's corpse back into the castle.

The chase ended in the most unconventional way.

In one of the infinite turns Caspian took, trying to deceive the guards, he ran into a branch and fell to the floor with a thud, head spiralling as air left his lungs.

Of course, his shoe got stuck between Destrier's reins so, as the poor horse raced ahead, the even more miserable prince was dragged through the forest, struggling to be released.

Finally, he got his foot out of its trap and was left lying on the ground, Destrier escaping without its rider.

Caspian slowly looked around as he attempted to catch his breath, noticing how there was no animals sounds, no wind, no nothing.

He didn't have a lot of experience with forest but he knew that if it was too silent, that meant only one thing.

Trouble.

Suddenly, a light was turned on from what it turned out to be low house, and two creatures exited it, taking notice of the exhausted prince with shock.

After a long hesitation, the ginger short man made a move to attack him, but stopped as they all heard horses nearby.

The guards had found him.

"Get him, I will take care of the humans!" that creature ordered his companion, a raven haired creature as short as him.

Without looking back, the first one raced bravely towards the horses, while his companion advanced towards Caspian, dagger in his hand.