What would Sebastian do with Jasper now that he thought they were together? Would he kiss the creep? Or... or more?

No... no. The mere thought of it made my stomach churn, but I knew he wouldn't do that, he'd avoided going in for a kiss so some part of him must have known. Some part of him that still loved me, buried beneath that fog in his head.

"Why are you crying?"

I flinched and shrank inwards, closing my eyes on reflex; with my thoughts being in shambles, I'd practically forgotten that to be in a moving car there had to be a driver. I'd forgotten I wasn't alone for a few seconds, despite what I'd been mulling over seconds before.

I didn't look at him, didn't open my eyes, but my face screwed up even more.

I had to fight back a wash of sobs since it hurt to realize that not even he remembered me. We'd just connected, too... we'd just managed to break that final wall down and move forward.

"A lot of reasons," I said in a watery tone, drawing in a shaky breath and rubbing my face with the arm that didn't feel like it was on fire. "I'm sorry if its stressing you out. I can try and stop if its bothering you."

I sniffed the gunk clogging my nose to keep it from running and looked ahead to see him staring at me in the rear-view mirror. His glowing eyes flitted to and fro, shining like cherries on a couple of lit cigarettes.

"So... how old are you?" he quietly asked. "You're a vampire, turned by Jasper, right?"

"Yeah," I said bitterly, eyes filling with more tears. "I'm seventy six."

"How did you end up getting involved with him?" Leo grunted, looking back at the road. "I was told his marriage vows involved never turning anyone, yet here you are."

"I don't remember," I said, and his eyes snapped back to the mirror; I smiled weakly and shrugged, feeling helpless and heartbroken. "I'm missing about a month's worth of memories. I remember bits and pieces of it these days, but for the most part... its all just a blank."

His eyes narrowed and his face changed for a second. Like Sebastian's, his irises went wild, flitting to and fro as if trying to see something. He clutched the steering wheel so tight that I heard the metal groan and saw it start to bend a bit.

"I see," he said, then his gaze flitted to something just shy of my watery stare and he froze; his whole face went slack and he immediately jerked on the wheel, sending my head snapping to the right with a cry.

A burst of sheer fire shot down my arm, setting me ablaze, and I howled.

"OW!" I wailed, kicking my feet and cursing. "OW! FUCK!"

To make things worse, he stomped on the brakes and I jerked forward, sending a zap of ripping, explosive agony through my back. I nearly blacked out and actually went fully paralytic, muscles going numb as the sound of rushing filled my ears.

I was brought back a few moments later when I heard a click and my seat belt was forcibly pulled off of me. My mouth hung open, tears running across my nose as my head was jerked towards him.

"Stop," I pleaded, begging.

"Shut up," he whispered, pushing the hair on the side of my head up and out of the way; I squeezed my eyes shut, wondering what sort of awful thing he had planned, and I curled away from him as much as I could on instinct. He went still as I trembled in his grip, the sensation of the fingers on my chin doing absolutely nothing to make me feel better.

Instead of saying anything, he touched my temple.

I hesitantly opened my blurry eyes when gentle fingers caressed the side of my head, touching and prodding and lightly scratching with just the barest hint of nail. His fingers then moved lower, stretching down across my ear, and then my jaw, down, down, down to my neck.