I straightened, looking at him in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"It's a habit I developed after Jasper's vanishing," he absently explained, shaking his head against his palm. "I seem fearless because I stopped fearing death, Aerin. I sank to such a low point after he abandoned me that I stopped caring about life, as well as about living it. The only things that really kept me going were the wolves back home and the constant searching I was putting myself through. Looking for my missing lover gave me purpose during those years."

My heart ached for him when I saw his mouth trembling and I immediately walked right into his side, wrapping my arms around him tightly and burying my face against his soft black suit jacket. His arm came around me and I felt him exhale, rubbing my back.

"You are the first dream of life that I've had in centuries," he hoarsely explained, finally twisting to look down at me with unhappy eyes. "I want to settle things, Aerin.... I want to end these fools who threaten you and make sure they can never do it again."

My entire body was feeling heavy when I lowered my eyes from his. I basked in his heat, basked in the warmth of the arm wrapped around my body, basked in the presence of the man who claimed to love me so much that he'd psychologically branded my existence into his mind.

"You know what?" I asked, lifting my eyes. "Let's dance, babe."

He blinked, staring at me in surprise and confusion, I couldn't see it but I could feel it.

"You want to go back?" he asked, disbelieving. "We just left, Aerin."

"No, hell no," I scoffed, shaking my head. "I mean, let's dance right here. Right here on the bridge in front of the water and this beautiful nightscape. I mean, nobody's around, there are no cars, and sure... there might not be music but we don't need that to dance, you know?"

He blinked at me, surprised... and then, for the most remarkable moment, it looked like he was fighting back a laugh. He didn't smile – he was far too high and mighty for such frivolity – but his mouth just closed tight and he tried to hide the shake of his shoulders as his eyebrow raised. 

He gained his composure quickly.

"You make even the worst situations seem bright," he hummed, taking my other wrist and setting his hand against the small of my back. I smiled when he pulled me against his stomach, looking down at me with a soft and surprisingly sad expression. "Sing something for me."

I looked at him for a long moment, wondering what sort of song would suit this situation.

Would suit our feelings.

Genius struck me in a moment of clarity and I smiled at him from the core of my being. 

"You are my sunshine," I hummed, watching in satisfaction as his eyes widened, "my only sunshine... you make me happy... when skies are grey. You'll never know, dear... how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."

It was a lovely feeling, his hands were hot, burning against mine as he spun me across the sidewalk. I grinned in delight as the smile spread across his mouth, darkening his glowing eyes until I could barely see them in the gloom. I continued singing as he twirled me, trying to keep my breathing even and my vocals steady. 

Even with no real music, his feet knew what they were doing. 

I felt light as a feather as he dipped me, feeling his hand sliding across my leg as he stretched it out, leaning down over me with his mouth against my throat. With a rush that had my head spinning he pulled me back up and swung me around, extending his free arm as he snapped me as far apart as our bodies would allow. Just as I was coming back in, I saw a glint .