Chapter 40

"This was more than a hide out, wasn't it?" Tris whispers to me as she looks around the abandoned apartment.

"I was going to live here, as Factionless." I take note of the small details of perfected cleaning and organization. The apartment is stocked with blankets and food and has running water and electricity still. The windows have been blacked out and the door reenforced to keep squatters out. She doesn't ask what changed my mind, she already knows. Her, it is always her.

"Where do we sleep?" Marlene ask tiredly. There is only one bedroom, I was hoping to share with Tris, but Uriah most likely needs it more with his injuries.

"You and Uriah can take the bedroom, the rest of us will be in here." I notice Tris glance at me sadly and it kills me.

Zeke and I unload the monitoring equipment, setting it up in the kitchen area. "I'll take the first watch, the rest of you should get some sleep." Zeke says. Shauna wraps her arms around him, promising to sit up with him. I imagine they feel the same way Tris and I do, desperately clinging to the moments we have left together.

Tris sits looking out the window, staring at the grey outlines of Abnegation, barely visible from the light of the moon. "We should get some rest." My voice quite as I place my hand on her shoulder. She turns to look at me, giving a half smile as she nods in agreement. I am able to zip the two sleeping bags I brought for us together, forming a larger one for us to share purposely placing it in the furthest corner   keeping us somewhat out of view. She presses her chest tightly to mine and circles her arm around my waist as soon as we settle in. I glance up, making sure no one is watching when I pull the blanket up over our heads so I can kiss her deeply in private.

Our hands slide under each other's shirts, feeling what skin we can while our tongues slowly swirl together. "I wish we could be alone." She whisper against my lips.

"I do too." I capture her mouth again, this time more firmly while I pull her hips closer to mine knowing she can feel my growing arousal.

"Could you show me where the bathroom is?" She breathes against my neck sending chills down my spine.

"I think everyone knows better than that, Tris. But if it doesn't bother you, I would be happy too."

"I need to be with you." That's all I need to hear. I slip out of our blankets, bending over to grab Tris' hands once I'm on my feet. She walks in front of me towards the bathroom, Zeke raising his eyebrows at me when he see's where we are going.

I lock the door behind us, the light barely illuminating the room as it flickers on and off. The room is small, barely large enough for us both to stand in. The tiles that cover the floor are cracked at random and the sink vanity worn. "I'm sorry, this isn't exactly romantic." I tell her, being sure to keep my voice down. Her arms wrap around my neck, pulling me towards her to kiss her lips. She brings her hands to the hem of my shirt, and I raise
my arms, allowing her to pull it off, exposing my naked chest.

"Does the shower work?"

"It does." My eyes hold hers as I lean over, turning the faucet on. My fingers move down her ribs, squeezing her hips before pulling her shirt over her head. I let out a shaken breath when she reaches for my waist band, she's been with me in every way possible yet this feels like our first time, or maybe our last. She slides my pants and briefs down together, leaving me exposed to her.

I stand before her completely bare. My chest rises and falls heavily, her eyes lock onto mine as she stands back, unbuttoning her pants. She does it slowly, allowing me to watch her peel her most intimate layers off. Her hands shake when she reaches behind her to release her bra, freeing her breast for me to see. We both stand there gazing at each other's nakedness, taking it all in. I hold out my hand to her, helping her step into the shower before I join her.