WITHOUT YOU

"Darshan how many times do I need to tell you that don't keep the wet towel on the bed" Ishika told adjusting the bedsheet.
"And what about Darshika?Did you change her diaper?"

Darshan was shocked to see Ishika and he kept staring at her. Hundreds of questions bubbled in his mind but he felt as if he became numb and speechless. After few minutes he spoke.

"I can't believe my eyes.you were far away from me. How come you are here standing here next to me? You were...."

I had thousands of questions in my mind and I felt like asking them to Ishika at one go but I couldn't. My mouth became dry.

"Darshan, you are my home. How can i not return to my home? i can never leave you and go away. I am always here and will always be. Forever" She said and kissed my forehead and I could feel the moist imprints on my forhead.
I felt so comfortable and relaxed after months.

After a few moments I spoke, " I missed you so much! For four months I couldn't talk to you, I felt terrible. I felt that you were gone.... "

She held my hands and started creasing my messy hairs, "I know you had been missing me. I am sorry for making you feel sad but I loved you and I still do and that's the reason I am here, sitting right beside you"
"There were many barriers but I crossed all of them and now I have come to you, the person whom I love the most" She said kissing me.

We held hands for few minutes and suddenly she spoke up, " Why are you skipping your meals? You might be hungry na? Wait I have something for you"

She went to the kitchen and brought in a bowl of my favorite vaghereli khichdi. This itself brings so many flashbacks. She fed me my favorite dish with her own hands and said, "you have to take care of yourself. You have to be a little more responsible now. You are a dad now. Never skip your meals and promise me that you will take care of yourself and our little baby? "

"Why do I need to bear all the responsibility? You are also a mother" Darshan said.
"Because I might not be here beside you and Darshika everytime" She said turning away her face.
"Darshan, I am very tired and I want some rest" And she placed her head on my shoulder.

We held our hands and I shut my eyes. I wanted to feel this beautiful moment and I wanted to capture it in my heart till eternity. I held her in my arms and said "thank you for everything". I tucked her hairs behind her ear and didn't say anything further as she wanted to rest.

Hours passed by and suddenly I felt something hitting my head. I struggled to open my eyes and found my head hitting the edge of the bed. I stood up and all of a sudden I realized Ishika wasn't there. I searched for her in the entire house but I couldn't find her.

She went. She left me and Darshika all alone. I fell on the floor and let the tear drop fall from my eyes.

"This is the third time in a month I hallucinated your presence. Four months back we couldn't save you. I couldn't save my love. Forever was a myth. Destiny separated us and most importantly it made me realize that MY LOVE WAS NEVER MINE" I cried to myself and just then I heard the cries of someone. It was Darshika, our four month old daughter.

I immediately went to her room to see if she was fine. I picked her up and took her in my lap. I caressed her tiny little hair and said " Life as a single parent would never be easy but I will fulfill all my responsibilities, not only as a father but as a mother too. Because this was your last wish Ishu. Maybe you are not with us but you will forever stay alive in my memories. And i know right now you are smiling from heaven to see me as a responsible dad." And he kissed his little daughter and put her to sleep again.

~THE END~

SHE DIED.I SURVIVED.
BECAUSE I SURVIVED. I DIED EVERYDAY.
-Ravinder Singh

[SO THIS MARKS THE END OF PHASE 1.
I HOPE YOU ALL MIGHT HAVE LIKED THIS SHORT FANFICTION❤️
DON'T FORGET TO SHARE YOUR REVIEWS IF YOU LIKED THIS FANFICTION 🥰]