Chapter 58

Jules hadn't once glanced at him but she was very aware of him. His voice filled her as he spoke to everyone at the table. His gaze was on her when no one was looking. Gideon spoke to her through the event and the meal. He made it quite obvious that he wasn't there out of his own free will even without mentioning it to her.

Everyone had moved to the floor as the dance had started. Eric asked Jules to the floor and Selene made Ceaser dance with her. The two couples danced close to each other as his gaze shifted back and forth from Jules to his mum who smiled just smiled at him.

"What is it, mum?" He asked

"Nothing." She shook her head.

"There's clearly something on your mind."

"I've decided not to interfere." She said, "Whatever happens should happen because you want it to not because I made it happen."

Ceaser looked at his mum thinking of whatever he had planned for after the function. He was going to talk to her.

"How do you like the McGuire boy?" Eric asked Jules who smiled up at him.

"He's... fine." She said, not knowing a better word to use

"Just fine?"

Jules scoffed a laugh.
"What are you trying to get me to say?"

"Nothing," Eric said too quickly. "Just you both seem to hit it off well."

"Well, he's pretty good at holding a conversation." She said, "He's ok."

Eric nodded not saying anything.

"Don't worry Eric." She said, "No one's going to steal your date."

Eric smiled
"I hope..."

"May I cut in?" They both turned when Gideon showed up beside them.

Eric looked at her silently asking if she wanted to dance with him and she gave him a nod.
"Of course son." Eric said before he walked away from the dance floor leaving Jules in Gideon's arms.

Gideon smiled at her and she smiled back in return as they danced.
"You look beautiful." His face was serious.

"Thank you." She blinked up at him.

"I've been meaning to ask all night."

"What?"

"How do you know the Thompson's?"

She was quiet.
Well, well, well. Here was an example of someone who didn't read or listen to gossips.
"Uh..." She thought "Mutual relative." She said truthfully.

Ceaser was related to her daughter and was a Thompson.

Gideon nodded.

Selene could have laughed if the look on her son's face wasn't deadly. She had seen why he was throwing daggers, arrowheads, bullets, whatever at Gideon. She had given Eric a look who got up when he saw her and made his way back on the dance floor towards her.

"Son?" Eric tapped on Ceaser's shoulder who stopped dancing "May I dance with your mum?"

Ceaser nodded before he stepped aside and let his dad take his mum into his arms as they danced. He on the other hand had set his gaze on someone. He made his way straight for them.

"I'm cutting in." He said just as Gideon smiled at him before he stepped off the floor.

Jules' back was to him and her breathing had begun to escalate. She released her breath in a whoosh as Ceaser placed his hand on her waist and turned her to face him and their gazes locked.