Chapter 14

Jules was immersed in her work when Alice called in.

"Ms. Jenna, Mrs. Thompson is here to see you," Alice said.

Mrs Thompson?
Ceaser's mum. What's she doing here?

"Send her in Alice."

"Right away."

Seconds later, Alice walked in with Selene following behind.

"Selene, what a surprise." Jules went around her desk to give her a hug.

"A good one I hope?" Selene asked as she embraced the young woman her son couldn't seem to get out of his mind.

"Of course. Please have a seat." Jules offered "Can I get you anything?"

"No, thank you. I won't be here long."

Jules nodded and turned to Alice
"Thank you, Alice."

"I just came straight from Ceaser's office," Selene said when Jules was seated next to her.

Jules let out an unsteady breath as Selene studied her.

"Selene, I didn't know Mr. Thompson, your son, was my boss when I accompanied him to the charity function." Jules told the older woman "I found out that evening and I don't know what you must have thought of me when I told you I worked for the company he now owns. I didn't even know."

Selene placed her hand on Jules'
"I didn't know either." Selene said, "Up until you mentioned the name of the company you worked for at the Charity function, Ceaser hadn't said anything about it to me or his father."

Jules sighed.
Selene didn't know about it. That was a weight off her shoulder.

"How did you find out?" Selene asked.

"Well, Ceaser told me he was a Thomas, not a Thompson. The night of the charity function, Ceaser dropped me home and, my friends who knew what our boss looked like told me. To say I was shocked would be an understatement." Jules said, still hurt at his betrayal.

"Well, that explains why my son is in a good mood," Selene said sarcastically.

"Excuse me?" Jules looked at the woman, curious.

"Well, my son isn't his normal self as we speak. He's...troubled." She paused "It's like, he was right there in the room but at the same time he wasn't. He was distracted by something...or someone."

Jules understood what Selene was trying to tell her not so subtly.
"I doubt I'm the reason for his pleasant mood."

"If you say so." Selene smirked like she knew something she didn't "Anyway, I thought I'd get a chance to see your daughter, but it looks like..."

"Of course." Jules said "My work can wait. I can use this as an excuse to go check on her as well."

"If you insist," Selene said happily and they left her office.

"Alice, I'm escorting Mrs. Thompson to the daycare, I'll be back in a few minutes."

Alice gave her a curt nod and they were on their way.

Jules and Selene arrived at the daycare and made their way from the elevator through the corridor leading to the reception before the children's playroom and a nap room.

"Beth, where's Andy and Sofi?" Jules asked one of the babysitters.

"In there." The young woman said.

"Okay, thanks." Jules said "This way." She told Selene.

They entered the playroom where all the children were. Some sitting on the floor playing with their toys, some on their very small tricycle.