New Era

It was mid-July. The night air was cooling off the day's hot air and the warm pavement she lay on in the dark alleyway. She stared up at the night sky at nothing in particular from where she lay, her vision blurred, as the numbness took over her entire body. Oh, she was feeling a lot of things on the inside but she was numb on the outside.

She paused every moment to catch her breath even though she wasn't really out of breath but it felt like she was suffocating. Her heart, felt like it wasn't even in her body like it was missing. She felt empty, completely drained of everything that was supposed to make her who she was. Her heart, her feelings and emotions, her spirit, her willpower and herself. She was drained physically, mentally and emotionally and everything in her just wanted to give up. She just wanted to let go.

Her hands trembled lifeless at her sides as the tears threatened to spill but she was weak, she was tired, she'd cried all the tears she could cry but her entire body just shook like there was a storm ready to burst out of her like a volcano. Her lips trembled as her vision blurred even more.

She was empty. She was lost. She felt worthless and she didn't see any reason to carry on. But there was a part of her, a very tiny part that had hope, that shined a light in the darkness of her soul. That wanted to carry on for one reason only.

The shaking of her body downed and she gasped for air, her vision clearing slowly. Her trembling hands calmed and she began to feel herself come alive, even if every part of her was dead. She watched her breath escape in the cold night air. She was starting to feel the cold in her bones, or maybe that was just her, but it jerked her back to where she lay in the dark and narrow alleyway a few blocks from the pub she'd left with her best friend just half an hour ago. Slowly, she turned to look down at her hand, turning it palm up as she stared at her trembling bloodied hand. She wasn't entirely sure whose it was; hers or her best friend's whose body lay lifeless in a pool of her own blood next to hers.

She looked up into her friend's lifeless eyes that stared at her, willing her to fight for the both of them. Sirens blared in the distance, nearing. Her breath escaped through her lips one last time as she succumbed to the darkness that tugged at her soul.

She was lost. She was gone.

She belonged to the darkness now.

Follow me on this journey and unravel the person that Makenna has become

Follow me on this journey and unravel the person that Makenna has become. She's no longer the person she was, and she's not exactly sure about the person she wants to become. Still holding on to the past, she tries to focus on the future. But all her plans and walls begin to quake as soon as she encounters Atlas.

Atlas has his own demons and he's fighting his own battles. Soon, as he begins to understand his grief, he's able to peel back layers of Makenna. He's surprised at what he finds out and they form a bond with their broken pieces as a foundation.

But as you know, nothing built on shaky ground lasts very long.

Hey guys,

I was so excited when the first chapter of Broken was published in July and I'm looking forward to bringing these new characters to life.

Why is this a new era for me? Well, Broken is my 11th work on Wattpad (Yay!) I know, it's unbelievable for me as well. After 10 works on Wattpad, I know I've improved so much as a writer and I feel like I finally know the kind of story I want to share with the world.

Broken was born during COVID period when I was stuck in College, by myself, for over 8 months. As an introvert, the first few months were a dream. But soon, I went down this rabbit hole of self-loathing, self-sabotage, self-doubt, and dare I say I was toeing the line to depression. God and my family on the other side of the world got me through it. At first, I wasn't sure what to do with all of the dark thoughts I experienced during that period but as soon as I completed my 10th work, all the broken pieces fit together and ironically Broken was born.

Broken is more personal than anything I've ever written but it also has things I never experienced. I wanted Makenna to represent every woman's dark secrets. Secrets you've never been able to share with anyone for fear of judgement and just opening up to reveal your dark past. I truly hope I do her justice for the journey has only just begun.

I hope you guys check it out.

Updates: Every Wednesday and Saturday.

Follow me on my socials for more book-related content and other fun things like vlogs, booktoks, book trailers, and more. (Direct link --->)

Lots of Love,
Jane Lanett.❤️