CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Art was becoming my favourite lesson. Want to know why? Well, it just so happened to be that Ashley wasn't in it, which left me with an hour sitting up the back of the classroom with Tristan. This also happened to be the only time I hung out with Tristan.

However, that was about to change with nine small words from Mrs. See.

"Remember guys, your projects are due in three days."

I stiffened. How could I have forgotten?

"Oh crap," Tristan groaned and by that tone I could definitely say that he'd forgotten all about it as well.

"What are we going to do?" I asked, propping my elbows on the desk and massaging my temples. "I don't exactly feel like staying at school all night."

Tristan bit his lip in thought.

"I guess we're just going to have to have a hardcore project session," I said with a sigh. "My house, four o'clock… Can you make it?"

Tristan rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't know…" he said quietly, frowning slightly. "Ashley wanted me to go see this stupid chick flick with her tonight."

I laughed. "Well, if it's so 'stupid', tell her you're sick and come over my house. I think school is more important than a date with your…" I struggled to spit out the word, "Er… your girl-who-is-a-friend."

Tristan chuckled. "I'm glad you approve of my girl-who-is-my-friend," he grinned.

"Look, I won't tell if you don't," I said.

Tristan thought for a moment before nodding and saying, "Deal."

'Ding, dong.'

I sprang off the bottom step of the staircase at the sound of the doorbell, my heart racing. It was him.

I hurried over to the door and paused to look at my reflection in the hall mirror. I straightened my top, fluffed up my hair and checked my teeth.

What do you care if you look like crap? He has a girlfriend, remember? the little voice in my head reminded me.

No, he doesn't.

What does he have then?

A girl-who-is-a-friend.

God, you're a knob.

I stuck my tongue out at my reflection before realizing how childish I was being and turning to the front door. Taking a deep, steadying breath, I placed my hand on the doorknob, hitched a massive smile on my face and pulled the door open.

Tristan's fist was raised to knock on the front door. He smiled when he saw me and let his hand fall to his side.

"Took you long enough," he joked.

I pouted at him and teased, "Maybe I was busy."

Oh God, oh God, oh God. I'm flirting with Ashley's boy-who-is-a-friend.

BOYFRIEND! Grow up and say it, Amber, you twot!

Never, you… you… you silly inner voice.