8 - Guys and Baby

Start from the beginning

"What happened to the child you took to the game?"

"That was just..." He didn't say the three letter word, but Jack wasn't stupid.

Jack shook his head.

Adam looked around, the place was full of customers.

Jack sighed. "No seats, let's check outside. I get spoiled all winter."

"Sure winters around here must be exciting!"

"Don't knock it, my bed is always warm."

"I bet green eyes could warm up a bed."

Jack shook his head again. "I said she's a nice girl. She doesn't need the likes of you."

At Jack's house, Adam watched in amusement two grandmothers' power struggle to babysit so Jack and Maddie could take him out for a drink. Finally, Kelly gave in. "John and I will have Ryan over for dinner instead."

Jack said, "He'd probably rather come out with us."

"He can meet you after he sees his mother." Kelly replied as if Jack were still ten.

Sure enough, Ryan wasn't home when Adam went back to change. It was on the cooler side and didn't feel like summer at all. Since the bar was right on the beach, he needed warmer clothing.

There was a crowd on the deck and Jack and Maddie knew more than a few of the other drinkers. Maddie wasn't drinking, but Jack waited in line for their beers.

"So this is the place to go?" He yelled at Maddie so she could hear him.

"Yeah, this is our nightlife."

She waved as people continued to walk up the steps onto the deck from the beach. The sun was setting and there was a cool breeze coming off the water. He was glad he put on jeans and his favorite MIT sweatshirt. Jack had teased him, but he was wearing one that had The Point, Maine written on it so Adam had teased him back saying he looked like a tourist. Arriving at their table with the drinks, he handed Adam a bottle.

Maddie explained they were lucky to have a table to sit at. "It will be standing room only soon."

Jack explained Rory's boyfriend's parents were across the way. Adam nodded. "So she's still with the same boy?" Jack nodded but looked a little uneasy. "I thought you liked him?"

"I did when they were fifteen and sixteen, but now at sixteen and seventeen."

Maddie leaned in to Adam. "Poor Jack is afraid because he knows what I was doing on the beach at sixteen."

Adam laughed. "I think it's weird you know each other's past." What he was thinking was he was glad he didn't know the details of Amanda's past. His gut told him it would be a novel and not a short story. His was in between and there he was with the double standard again.

He lifted the bottle to his lips. As he was taking a pull, he saw the girl with the cat eyes walking up the stairs. He watched as she looked around and waved to people. When she saw them, she walked over.

She hollered above the din. "Hey Jack, thanks for helping me out this morning."

"No problem. I know Saturday is your busy day."

When Jack leaned into Maddie, Adam assumed he was telling her about the coffee line.

"Hi. I'm Jack's friend and business partner, Adam."

"Lana. Are you enjoying your visit?" She smiled, and it made her eyes sparkle which he felt in his gut. "I was looking for a friend, but she isn't here."