Chapter Seventy-Four | Third World

Start from the beginning

Unlike he had originally planned, which was to escape from the man's clutches as soon as he was able, he now realised that those plans were amateurish. As for the reason why, Valentin was a ticking time-bomb, no one knew more than Hansel of what he was like and what he could be potentially capable of. Without keeping a close-eye on the man, it would undoubtedly come back to haunt him in the future.

Although new to this world, Hansel was under no impression that Valentin was going to enter the safe-zone and act like any other good civilian. The man demanded to be put on a pedestal, which wouldn't bode well with those in the higher chains of command, who are trying to maintain order, and forge a workable society amongst the survivors.

When the guards returned to their previous posts, and whipped out a radio in order to communicate with whoever was going to let them in, Roscoe strode over and knocked on the side of the van before opening the door. Hansel was closest to the soldier, and the man gave him a respectful nod in greeting.

"We're still going to need to go through quarantine, but it won't be the same one where the civilians are sent through. Soldiers are usually prioritised because there's always a need for our skills elsewhere. Also, usually if we know about it, doctors or any medically-trained individuals are sent through the same priority-area too." Roscoe quickly briefed them, and for a moment everyone in the vehicle thought that they were, in fact, going to separate them.

"So when they guide us through, we'll overtake you and lead the way in."

Valentin tilted his head to the side and hummed lightly in his deep voice, "I presumed you'd take Hansel from us, but we're actually going with him?" Whether or not he was aware of it, his voice was laced with mockery. Anyone could see that Roscoe and Valentin were far from buddy-buddy. It made the air in the van feel a little stifling.

One of Roscoe's eyebrows arched ever so slightly, giving him a mirrored look of speculation. "And you would have allowed that to happen?"

As if finally understanding one another, Valentin grinned. His perfect-set of teeth made his pointed canines stand out. He would be considered devilishly-handsome if he ever smiled. It was just a shame that his exterior was wasted on a blackened soul.

Nothing else was said between them, Roscoe returned to his own vehicle, and as he mentioned, someone appeared and flanked them in a different direction than where they currently parked in. Bjorn let the other van pass by, and immediately began moving— having no intention of letting them be left behind.

Aside from the three subdivision's of the one large area, where the average survivor was usually directed towards, there was a fourth section which was far narrower than the others. They headed straight towards it, and the gates responded as such by opening. Their pace didn't falter as they drove straight through. Whatever tension was unknowingly building in Hansel's shoulders, which was obviously his suppressed nerves that were keeping him vigilant, relaxed almost immediately.

He knew there was a ways to go yet, but for that small moment he was proud of himself— at least I'm not dead yet, he cheered. And that was followed by the lovesick thoughts of his lover, who he was quietly confident might be within the walls ahead.

Just about as soon as the wheels came to a halt in the vehicle ahead, the soldiers jumped out and were ambushed by more men in green, who had come running to greet them. They had huge grins plastered on their faces, slapping each other on the backs and cursing at one another in friendly banter.

Built against the wall that they had to go through quarantine in order to pass through, were semi-sturdy buildings which were obviously where the examinations were conducted. They were built off the ground, with various contraptions in place to make sure they were stable. Metal ladders, which one seemed to be able to raise and put down manually, was the only means of access.