Woody let out a silent little chuckle, puffs of air escaping his smiling lips. Tiffany leaned against him, hair hanging around her face in straight, silken strands. We hit a bump in the road and I swayed, heart skipping a beat as my mind wandered back to the present.

We were currently on our way to the Ducale Palace, and similarly, there were many other cars ahead of us and behind us all heading towards the same place. The streets were packed with cars and people, all in fine clothes, and that was precisely why my nerves were so on edge.

I was finally beginning to realize just how massive this thing was going to be.

"I'm scared," I finally said, and everyone turned to look at me; I squeezed the fabric of the gown without looking up, shoulders tense, but I wasn't ashamed of admitting I was afraid. "I have a really bad feeling about tonight."

"You have me," Sebastian uttered, then looked around the small, plush compartment we were sitting in and gestured at the others, "and your family. There is nothing to fear, Aerin. We are far more frightening together than anyone else who will likely be in attendance."

I nodded but that creeping feeling didn't go away and I was pretty sure everyone could tell. I raised my eyes when the steel toe of a shiny black shoe bumped my shin, finding myself face to scarred face with Richard. He stared me down, sunglasses resting on his bald head, and scratched at his bushy black beard before reluctantly setting a hand on my knee.

Sebastian's eyes honed in on it and narrowed, but to his credit he said nothing even though he clearly hated it.

"Listen," Dick muttered, and with his other hand he moved to snatch Kyle's palm, interlacing their fingers and holding it up. "We'll all be watching out for you, okay? Even if you can't see us we'll be making sure that nothing goes wrong. At the first sign of danger, we'll leave. If something even smells wrong, we'll leave. If you're still afraid after thirty minutes has passed, we'll leave."

"Really?" I asked, startled. "After only thirty minutes?"

"Yes," Sebastian agreed, wrapping his arm around me. "If it truly makes you feel better."

I turned to look around, eyes growing a little misty when I realized everyone sitting in the car was giving me reassuring looks and smiles. I wasn't going into this alone. They wouldn't let anything happen to me, I knew that they wouldn't, and I admit it did make me feel better.

I didn't want to ruin this night for them, however, especially everyone looked shockingly good. Richard had thrown on a jet black tux with a classic dark red tie and gold cuff links. He seemed fairly uncomfortable in the outfit, almost as if he wasn't used to wearing high-quality clothes. The outfit definitely made his rugged facial features stand out.

Kyle, on the other hand, was wearing a fresh baby blue blazer and khaki dress slacks, complete with a pale pink polka-dotted bow tie. It was an interesting look, but on him it worked. Probably had something to do with his ridiculously bright red hair, freckles, and boyish visage, or perhaps it was the fact that his low-set brows complimented that winning, bright, very eager smile.

"All right," I said, drawing in a deep breath to steady my nerves. "Let's do this."

Woody grinned and gave me a silent thumbs-up, green eyes crinkling.

"This is going to be a very upper class gathering with some of the oldest living creatures in the underground attending," Sebastian grunted, casting a glance at everyone sitting around us. "I know half of you are new to this lifestyle but I want you to keep in mind that you will likely meet many people that set your hair on end. Be respectful, be polite, and do not draw attention."