Chapter thirty seven

The Poisonous Princess

The aftermath of FPs confession had shaken everyone to the core

The aftermath of FPs confession had shaken everyone to the core. Jughead had left to visit Archie and then the station, and although Bella wanted to go with him she had to stay behind and handle the crumbling gang.

"What are we going to do?" Fangs' voice shuddered against the wall of the whyte worm, catching the attention of all the serpents that had gathered for an emergency meeting.

"What can we do?" Huffed Tallboy, slumping down in his seat at the news of FPs soon to be sentence.

"Go old style. I say we break him out and take the serpents on the road!" Jack announced as if he suddenly took on the leader role. Every member turned to him, some disapproving stares and other somehow appreciative of him taking over. A litter of murmurs filled the room, and it felt like a test on all Bella had been prepared for. FP had gone, and in his wake were vengeful gang members ready for payback.

"Enough!" She demanded, jumping up upon a table to seem more noticeable. The room fell silent. Eyes pierced her skin as they waited for her to expand, eager for a way to shoot her down.

"One of our own has been arrested, and for all we know he is innocent. So we do not need to put more of us behind bars before there's even a trial." Her words echoed across the filled pub, pulling all of the attention even if they didn't want to listen. Too many thought she was still a child, in high school and struggling with trivial drama like boyfriends and bitches.

"You want him to stay behind bars, kid?" Tallboy spat, his saliva dotting her shoes as if to clean them in his disgust.

"I want you to not make this any worse for him. I know we're angry, and we're confused, but we need to think clearly and right now all you are seeing is venom." She casted her glare down, her heightened stance giving her the upper hand metaphorically as well as literally.

Tallboy backed down at her comment, muttering under his breath at her stubbornness and yet not barking back like the rabid dog he was. But still he couldn't deny that the girl was made to be a leader, even if he didn't want her to be.

"We took an oath, a vow, to protect one another. And we need to remember that because of FP being arrested, there is someone left alone."

"Not this again"

"No you all need to listen. I've had enough of you abandoning a boy because he wasn't groomed into becoming one of us. It's time we all grow up." Never had a 16 year old made a group of adults go silent so quickly. One would've laughed if not for the snarling look etched onto her features, showing she was not joking. The girl really was poisonous.

"PB is right. Let's make FP proud to be a serpent." SweetPea roared, banging his hand against the table in some sort of drum roll. The sound of cheers rang in the air as fists were raised for approval. The gang had united under their 6 laws, all because of the girl that proudly watched the family yell their most important one.

Because they knew she was right.
In their unity, there really was strength.

*****

"I don't get it." Bella muttered as she shrunk into her leather jacket, staring down at the varsity jacket that was splayed on the table. She had been called after dark, begged to come to Archie's den because of something Joaquin had said. A boy who fled his family when unity was needed the most.

"This just confirms my dad torched Jason's get away car." Jughead sighed, clutching at Bellas hand as if it were a safety line. She gave it a light squeeze, hoping whatever Joaquin had said didn't incriminate FP further.

"And that his confession was true." Veronica added sourly, still clawing at the idea her father was somehow linked. Bella shot the raven haired girl a glare, silently wanting to find a way to get her to stop saying unnecessary things.

"Why would FP say Jason's varsity jacket is dangerous?" The name that left Archie's lips sent a chill down Bellas back, and it was Jugheads turn to quietly console the girl. She had told him everything, after their argument and the police statement she had to make, her history was going to be public knowledge whether she liked it or not. And she couldn't let Jughead find out by reading an article Alice Cooper had concocted.

"What could that mean?"

"I can ask my father."

Bella threw back her head and groaned as Veronica yet again weaselled her family business into their drama. She liked the girl, to an extent, but the consistent need to blame her father on everything had caused a bitter taste in Bellas mouth.

"I'm sorry but how is finding a bag with H.L etched on to it concrete proof your father is a murderer? It's been a long day V so can you just give it a rest for five minutes." The serpent snipped, knowing she was taking out her frustration on the New Yorker unfairly.

"I'm not giving up yet. Put this on." Betty declared to draw the attention back to what was at hand, a Nancy drew in the making as she shook the jacket at the red head. Archie froze, panic embedded into his eyes as he watched Betty try and yank the sleeves onto his arms.

"This is weird." He muttered before begrudgingly shaking it on to his broad shoulders. The others stayed quiet as Betty started patting down the boy as if he were being searched for drugs. The air thickened in the room as they waited, hoping they all weren't just clutching at ideas.

The blonde paused, hand buried deep within the broken pocket and into the seams of the jacket. There it was, the reason FP wanted Joaquin to find the duffel bag. Their reason to save the Serpent King.

And it was a USB stick?

•••

84k!!

Can we just talk about the riverdale finale?
I am ShOoK.