Chapter four

Midnight quarrels

The bell chimed as Bella slipped into Pops, a uniform hidden under her leather jacket

She smiled as she leant against the counter, her hair pulled back into a high pony tail and wisps dancing on her cheeks.

"What did I say ms Rhodes?" Pops eyed the girl with a chuckle and a slanted brow.

"Don't worry, I'm taking off the jacket." She sighed in fake exhaustion, shrugging off the leather and chucking it over to her boss before customers noticed.

pop slid over the tray of food waiting to be served and quirked his eyebrow once more toward the small girl.

"Still the same deal as before, poppy boy?" She asked, taking the tray that she envied to eat. The man nodded, eyes flickering back to the doorway.

"I'll have a burger and fries ready before you go." He grinned, and wandered off as the girl spun to start her shift.

Her gaze met with one of Veronica lodge, a shocked expression lacing the raven haired girls skin.

"Shut your mouth sweetie, you might catch a fly."

*****

The night dwindled on and the customers began to thin out, with a couple familiar faces revealing themselves slightly too eagerly in pops.

"You can eat your dinner and go if you'd like, Bella." Pop noted, handing her a burger decked with more onion and lettuce than considered normal.

Bella glanced at the clock as she took the food, noticing how late she had stayed at the diner and slightly cursing herself.

"Thanks Poppy." She smirked, retrieving her jacket and wandering through the aisles of seats.

A familiar beanie caught her eye as well as the frantic typing, and almost immediately she had glided to the chair opposite.

"Jughead Jones, still an aspiring writer even after 2 years. I thought you'd get bored of it." Bella teased, biting a large mouthful of meat. Jugheads gaze snapped upward with a quick roll of his eyes.

"Jessbelle Rhodes, still inhales her food like an animal. I thought you'd get over it." He counteracted, slowly snapping his computer shut and pushing it to the side.

"When one loves food as much a me, juggy, there is no point in waiting." Bella wriggled her eyebrows and wiped a spot of ketchup from her chin.

In one quick movement, jughead had snatched the fries to the centre and began to eat.

"Hey they're mine!" Bella argued with pursed lips, stretching over to grab them back only for them to be withdrawn further.

"Did you pay for them?" He counteracted with the chip basket raised in the air, still slightly chewing the handful from before.

"no..." she muttered, slouching in her seat with folded arms and look of defeat. Jughead dropped the basket to the centre of the table, a small smirk on his lips.

"Then they're ours."

****

Jessebelle waltzed into the common room the next morning, sharing a small smile with her reconciled friend before jumping to sit on one of the many empty tables.

Reggie had started aimlessly talking but Bella had her gaze loosely following each person within the room. Her eyes landed on Archie Andrews, the boy she had yet to see after her arrival.
And he had changed.

No longer the podgy little kid who would cry if things wouldn't go his way, she thought as she eyed the boy in confusion.

She chuckled to herself as he fought with the vending machine, gaze trailing to the boy a few metres from him, only to see a beanie and raised eyebrows directed at her stare.

Bella jokingly glared back before her attention snapped back to the mindless jock announcing his dominance on the sofa.

"If a kid at riverdale killed Jason, its not going to be a jock, right? Now lets be honest, isn't it always some spooky, scrawny, pathetic internet troll, too busy writing his manifestos to get laid? Some smug, moody, serial killer fanboy freak, like Jughead?"

Reggie laughed, his glare piercing into the boy who simply stayed in the background, unaware people knew who he was. A cough sounded from behind the jock as a new voice jumped in.

"Hey Reggie." Bella called, watching all the heated glares move to her.
"Shut up." she raised her brow, waiting for a response as the slow mind of reggie mantle processed her words.

"Or was it you, serpent slut? upset that Jason blossom preferred the Innocent girls, and not one whose been around more than a blunt?" Reggie snapped with a sly smirk, barely registering his own words.

Bella jumped up from her position, hands balled into fists as she went to march toward the jock. She knew what he said was a lie, out of pure mindless stupidity, but sharp memories still pierced her thoughts.

"Say that again, Mantle. I dare you." She seethed as a hand snaked around her arm and pulled her backward. She glanced up to see Jughead shaking his head slightly, slight panic etched into his expression.

"What was it like, suicide squad? When you shot Jason, which one of you pulled that trigger? I mean you guys didn't do stuff to the body after, did you?" Reggie prodded with more questions rising with a smug smile as he watched the girl seethe in anger.

"Its called necrophilia, Reggie, can you spell it?" Jughead rose an eyebrow, watching the boy squirm in hatred.

"Come her you little." Reggie growled, diving to beat the outcast up without a seconds hesitance.

"Hey, Reggie stop!" Archie protested as he came in-between the pair and the jock, still reeling from the arrival of the serpent girl.

"What do you care Andrews?" Reggie spat as he shuddered away from Archies grip against his chest.

"Holy crap did you, Donnie Darko, and serpent charmer here all do it together? Was it some sort of pervy, blood pact thing?" The jock turned toward the redhead, ignoring the fact jessebelle had just been let loose.

Reggie pushed Archie backward, his nose crinkled from disgust and bitter annoyance.

a tap shuddered through his shoulder, soft and barely noticeable, but the jock still turned around in curiosity.

A fist suddenly collided with his jaw and Reggie was sent flying against the vending machine, glass shattering as he collided with the object.

Bella stood there shaking her hand slightly to rid the throbbing as she towered over the boy.

"Just because I didn't kill that blossom kid, does not mean I won't kill you." she narrowed her gaze to the boy before she was being quickly escorted out of the room by jughead and Archie.

•••

Merry Christmas.