Chapter nine

Help line

_____flash back____

_____flash back____

A 14 year old Jessabelle Rhodes stood outside the trailers rickety door frame for what felt like hours. Part of her told her that Jughead would be inside, waiting for her to knock.

But she couldn't let him see her like this. No, she was there for the man who she knew would protect her when all else failed. She knew the only one she had left was FP Jones.

The rain smacked against the ground like bullets, creating tiny explosions with each impact. FP did not expect to see such a state as he answered the door at 11pm at night.

The girl stood there, the damp tendrils of hair clinging to her head like each strand was soaked in glue. Her dark coloured clothes were torn and left limply lying on her small shivering frame.

Mascara had ran down her cheeks as if each tear drop was a start of another marathon, sending black streaks to race to her feet. But what shocked him the most was the bruises brandishing her cold skin.

Purples and blues mixed together as if she was a canvas, melting into her pale complexion like it was art. He could hear the subtle muffles of her crying as she stared up at him with sore red eyes, attempting to cover the many bruising tattoos.

Her small hands clung to her body to keep the warmth inside, But was still a shivering wreck. It took one sentence to fall on her lips for the man to quickly envelope the girl in a hug, whispering words of comfort. That sentence was:

"I'm s-so sorr-ry."

___________
(Present)

Sweetpea swung open their front door in anger as he swiped the sleep from his eyes. His dark hair fell against his forehead in a heap, rest still lingering behind his gaze.

"She doesn't want to talk to you." He spat at the unwelcomed face, attempting to slam to the door and go back to sleep even though school was starting within the hour.

Jughead Jones caught the closing door with his foot and pushed in back open, a narrowed gaze following the boy opposite him.

"Bella!" He called out into the empty room, head ducking away from her brothers heated glare.

"What don't you understand about what I just said." Sweetpea retorted, folding his arms and blocking the entrance with his stature.

"Sorry, I don't speak imbecile." Jughead muttered, eyebrows raised as his gaze fell back onto the brother. The serpent balled up his fists and went to advance on the intruder, determination glued to his skin.

"Learn to handle your temper Sweetpea." A soft yet sarcastic voice sounded from the background, soon followed by a small hand pulling him back.

The boy muttered, yet still left and stomped back into his room. Jughead was taken aback by the girls appearance, lost for words as he slowly fought for his voice.

Jessabelle stood there with her eyebrows slanted and her hip jetted out. She wore her serpent jacket with pride and for once, her hair was curled.

"Spit it out juggerella some people have lives to live." She muttered through her bright red lips, eyes narrowed toward the scrawny boy with the eyeliner darkening her stare.

"I-I came to take you to school." He answered, unsure on what to say. The girl rolled her eyes as she began to walk back into her apartment, heading straight for the fridge.

Jughead followed loosely behind and kept a close eye on her slick movements, cautious of her response.

"I'm not going back to high school musically untalented." She sang out into the brittle air, grabbing a coke bottle and slouching against the countertop.

"I knew you would say that." He observed, a small smirk on his lips.

"But you cant risk losing your place at Riverdale High. Okay?" He continued, pulling the beanie from his head and ringing the material in his hands.

"I won't need a place, if I never go back." Bella counteracted with a low hum. Jughead rolled his eyes at her theatrics and checked the time, knowing school would have nearly started by that point.

"You're going back." He argued, spinning on his heels and grabbing the rucksack left lounged against the sofa. Bella chewed her cheeks nervously, watching the boy run around the small apartment to collect random crap he thought she needed.

"I'm not going back." She snapped, chucking the glass bottle into the bin and attempting to snag the bag from her friends grip.

She peered inside to see an array of food scattered in its confinement's and rose her eyebrows in accusation.

"Why would I need Pringles and popcorn, for a day at school jughead?" She chuckled dryly, ready to throw the bag back to where it was.

Two large hands enveloped her own as she gripped onto the material of the rucksack, preventing her from dropping it.

"I never said you had to go back to school today." He smirked down at the confused brunette, before dropping his hands in haste.

"Today, I'm going to take you somewhere we used to go as kids. And you seriously can't be angry at that."

•••

What do you guys think?