Chapter three

Resurrection of a serpent

Jessabelle strolled out of the lesson as soon as she could, her rucksack slung across her shoulder and leather jacket discarded in her bag

A hand tugged on her elbow soon after quick footsteps sounded from behind her, spinning her round to show her thick eyebrows arched.

"Yes, Jug?" She asked, looking over the nearly unfamiliar boy. He stood, taken aback for a moment as he watched her reaction.

How was she so calm when everyone was asking the same question. Wondering how the hell she was truly back.

"What is happening right now? How are you here, we thought you were..." He ranted, drawing his lip back as his voice dropped at the train of thought.

"Just because a girl decides to wander off, doesn't mean she's dead." PB spat, her grip tightening on the strap pulling against her top.

"You literally disappeared for 2 freaking years!" He quickly argued, disbelief threading through the air as the two began to bicker like they had done as children.

"Think of it as a sabbatical from the suburban life of riverdale." Jessabelle shrugged, biting her cheeks as an uncomfortable tic.

"Why would you leave like that?" Jughead pressed on, his grip dropping from the girls elbow.

Bella stepped away from the boy who still wore the torn up beanie, her expression running cold.

Jughead watched as the girl began to shut down, already knowing the key signs she developed as a child. As she pursed her lips, her fingers began to curl up into a fist.

"I went on a little adventure jughead, get over it." And before he could respond, she had disappeared into the wave of students.

———flashback———

It was two years ago, on a blistering cold morning as winter blanketed the town of river dale, when Jessebelle Rhodes woke up to her seemingly last unknowing day in the suburban town.

The girl woke as usual, and pulled her muddy brown hair into a quick bun, not really one to care for her appearance.

Sweetpea lay asleep on the rusted sofa they had splayed in the supposed living room, but was infact a mixture of everything.

The apartment was dark and dingy as the sun had yet to cradle the walls and instead blackened the floor. Bellas phone flashed as a text from her best friend popped onto the screen.

'Remember where to meet, I'll be there in ten.'

Bella snorted as she slid the phone into her pocket, disregarding a reply. Of course she knew where to meet him, she thought. But what she wouldnt expect later that day, was the chaos that caused her to run.

———

PB stumbled against a locker as she watched Betty Cooper sprint past her down the corridor, tears soaking her cheeks.

For a moment Jessabelle had the urge to ignore her old friend, after their heavy past, but Betty had been there for her before. And PB always looked out for her family.

Her hand shook slightly as the door to the bathroom creaked open, allowing the brunette to slide through. She quickly narrowed her gaze at lingering freshmen, startling the girls so they would leave.

Each stall was carelessly open, except for one. A soft murmur of tears sniffled through the air and Bella went stiff.

Disconnected from her own emotions from a young age, she had always found it hard to empathise with others.

Her life had caused nothing but grief and displeasure, and growing up only informed the brunette it would get worse. Being able to shut down was an unhealthy mechanism, but it helped her.

"Betty?" PB whispered, stepping in front of the stall so her friend would be able to see her feet. there was no response.

"I'm not going to ask what happened, I know that makes it worse." Bella pressed on, fiddling with her thumbs as she rolled on the balls of her feet.

the air was still thick with silence.

"But I'm not going to go, not until you're that slightly annoying bubbly blonde again. Cause you've got to admit, sometimes you are-..." her yammering voice was cut short as the stall door was yanked open and the blonde girl suddenly encased her friend in a bone crushing hug.

Bella stuttered for a second, as her posture went rigid and she attempted to readjust. Slowly her arms encased her solemn friend, patting her awkwardly on the back.

"You were doing good for a moment." Betty stifled a tear, tightening her grip slightly.

"I didn't want you to ruin it with that last part." She chuckled through the dry tears and slowly detached from the hug.

"You've gotten stronger Betty Cooper." Bella smirked, stuffing her hands into her pockets. Betty beamed a wide grin, the reminder of her tears just puffy eyes, as Betty let out a huge sigh.

"And I've missed you Jessebelle Rhodes."

•••

What do you think?