Chapter twenty

Rebirth of a serpent

A black leather jacket rested on jessebelles shoulders, red lipstick soaked into her lips and a cat eye swoop of eyeliner nestled onto her skin

A black leather jacket rested on jessebelles shoulders, red lipstick soaked into her lips and a cat eye swoop of eyeliner nestled onto her skin. Her hair was pulled back into a braid, a new black bow tied neatly to her woven brunette strands.

She let a blackcurrent lollipop dangle in her fingertips as she twirled the stick in her hand, a vacant expression on her skin.

"Bella?" Toni Topaz called out in confusion as the girl strolled through the hallway, a small black rucksack draped over her shoulder. Bella rolled her eyes as a smirk took residence on her lips, watching as each teen that stood bewildered in the corridor noticed the new arrival.

SweetPea came up beside her, soon followed by Jack, and each let their signature tattoos relish in the dingy school light.

"I always said she'd come home." SweetPea roared with laughter, hugging his sisters side as she pulled the lollipop out of her mouth.

"Did you miss me?"

*****

Jessebelle walked into pops hesitantly, her uniform in her hand. She was doing damage control, not only had she to move schools but having a serpent work on the north side, that was a sin.

"Evening Bella." Pop Tate smiled, dropping the towel that hung on his shoulders and beaming a welcoming smile.

"Just dropping off my uniform Pops, before you feel the wrath of the register." She nodded, outstretching the uniform over the counter and waiting for the older man to take it back. He furrowed his eyebrows, chuckling lightly at the girls actions.

"Jessebelle I knew of your past long before you decided to mark your skin. I knew of your personality long before you had even discovered it. You are a bright spark, Bella. And you needn't feel pushed away from Pop Tates choc lit shop." He smiled sympathetically, pushing back her hand and glancing at the clock hidden on the wall.

"Now don't you have a shift that started ten minutes ago?"

*****

Bella swerved through the tables, dropping food baskets and milkshakes whilst keeping a soft, and fake, smile. Judging eyes scoured the diner for the serpent that had hid her scales for so long. But Bella held her head up high, and ignored the complacent glares of the posh nosed snobs littered through Riverdale.

"Jessie." A gruff voice called from across the diner, sending the girls eyes to widen and body to whip toward the source with a sour expression.

"It's Bella." She reminded the older man, quickly grabbing a hot pot of coffee and heading to the table.

"You always liked Jessie when you were little." FP chuckled as he gulped the remnants of the cold brown liquid before the refill was due.

"People change." She noted simply, barely glancing at the other three boys dotted in the booth.

"Where were you at school today Pea?" Archie Andrews asked with furrowed brows, his freckled cheeks scrunching slightly.

"I left, not my place anymore." She mumbled, turning on her heels before anyone could ask any more questions. Archie shared a confused look with Jughead, noticing that neither of them had realised of her permanent shift. Jughead quietly rose from his seat and hurried after the girl, ignoring the prying eyes of his father digging into his back.

"I give it a week." FP laughed, swirling the coffee cup in his blistered hands. The two Andrews men raised their eyebrows at the Jones father, quizzical stares taken over their expressions.

"A week for what?" Archie pressed, a smug suspicion already coining in his head.

"Til they realise they've been in love since they were three."

•••

Go check out my new book:
The Luna Eclipse