Case Of Nanaki: Page 8

He felt he heard gunfire somewhere far away. It was outside of the forest. Nanaki began to tremble all over. It's been a long time since Gilligan appeared. He cowered as he trembled with fear. It's been so long that he's forgotten how to deal with it. What was I supposed to do again? I know. Pazu and Rin. Those brothers stopped the trembling for me. But neither of them were around. Clenching his teeth, Nanaki stood up and headed out of the forest. Staring down at the ground as he walked, Nanaki endured the trembling. He knew he was out of the forest because the air felt different. He looked up. A grass plain sloped downwards. The grass was trampled where the hunters made their path. As Nanaki followed the path with his eyes, he could see a number of lights in the distance. It was a small village. One of the lights, the biggest of them all was swaying with a crackling sound.That must be fire, thought Nanaki. Was it being used for cooking? He took in everything in sight and thought to himself, trying to force Gilligan out of his mind. But there was no effect. Nanaki walked on with determination towards the lights.

It is , thought Nanaki. The lights lit up Pazu and Rin. The two of them were hanging downwards from a pole. They didn't look good. Their arms were stretched up into the sky, a sight that Nanaki have been used to seeing. Their tails had been cut off. Nanaki could feel himself calm. Gilligan had disappeared. He didn't have the courage to look at the Nibel bears closely so he surveyed the surroundings instead. There were three mountain huts. They were lit individually. Listening closely, he could hear the laughter of men and women. Perhaps they were having a toast. It appeared there was no lookout. Nanaki still couldn't look directly over at the brothers.

Did I come to avenge the brothers? Such emotion didn't belong to beasts. Humans and Nibel bears may have long been enemies but that was in general, nothing personal, thought Nanaki.Humans are the only ones that can possess hostility and grudge.

Perhaps it was the air outside the forest but Nanaki became aware that in his heart, he wanted revenge. This wasn't a beast's feeling. It's human.

"Geee" Nanaki heard the brother's voice. He was surprised. It sounded as if they were telling him they were in pain. Even though they were big in size, they were still children who were only just born a few years ago. Deep black emotions expanded inside Nanaki. It wasn't Gilligan but they were gradually devouring his senses. They were taking over his mind as much as he wanted to suppress his desire for vengeance.

The sound of a baby crying could be heard from one of the huts. I see. There's a baby here. It must be very cute. A baby— Babies have no sin. Maybe it means you should bear with it, Nanaki.

Nanaki's heart was being torn between being human or beast.

Pching!

A bullet hit the ground right next to Nanaki. He realised that he was so enraged he couldn't even recognise the sound of gunfire. He looked at Pazu and Rin again. Their voice had only been his imagination earlier. They had died a while ago. He looked at their eyes. He could see their eyes were bright red underneath the eyelids of their closed eyes. The lights were being reflected in them. He could feel the flames in his own eyes spreading as they burned. His eyes were growing hot. The scenery around him was dyed in bright red so much that he couldn't see any more.

He heard another gunshot ringing through the air. He followed the sound the enemy made and burst into one of the huts. The broken glass from the window scattered inside. There were a number of armed men. What moved me was human emotion but in here right now, I have the instincts of a beast.

He could no longer distinguish humans.

The sound of gunfire is heard and a sharp pain ran across his cheek. It was the sign. Nanaki leapt onto the closest man.

He couldn't remember what happened afterwards. All that he could remember was the pain of a bullet piercing his body and the cry of a boy.

"I wanted to become friends with you!"

Nanaki woke up. It looked like he had collapsed on a bloodstained wooden floor. He turned his head to look around him. At the side of a room sat a familiar man dressed in red, looking at him.

"Can you get up?"

Asked Vincent who sounded as if he had little concern.