Case Of Denzel: Page 9

It seemed she had lots of extra cloth because there were many of the same hankerchief. Denzel took one and folded it neatly into his rear pocket.

"And...." Ruvi's smile disappeared, "How should I say this...?"

Denzel wondered what she was going to say. The words that he didn't want to hear the most came floating to his mind. Get out. His body shook with anxiety at the thought.

"Lets go outside."

Ruvi went outside into the back garden. Denzel hesitated but followed. Walking over the thickly spread out earth, Denzel went over to stand next to Ruvi. Ruvi stood gazing at the sky.

Denzel too gazed up at the sky. There was a great black spot in the sky. It was a very bad omen. During the day, the sky was white and blue. Everything besides that was no different from the gloom or worries.

"I don't know anything about it but, it seems it's called Meteo. It's said that once it impacts with this planet, everything will be over."

Ruvi went over to the storage shed and took out two cans of food handing them to Denzel.

"Just how are we going to prepare ourselves with these things."

That day, Ruvi didn't clean, sew or do anything else. She just sat on the sofa thinking.

When something came to mind, she went on the phone. It seems no one answered. Denzel thought she must have been calling her son as he cleaned the interiors and outside. He also wanted to ask about the impact of Meteo but he couldn't bring himself to ask about it. As night fell, Ruvi began to clean as if to say she was back to reality. Denzel, the way you clean isn't any good. What on earth have you been looking at? It was the usual Ruvi again.

It was night and the two of them sat side by side on the sofa reading the same book they always did.

Keeping her eyes on the book, Ruvi said, "Denzel. I plan to wait for the end here. If the planet is to die then it doen't matter where I am. Everywhere is the same. What are you going to do? If you're going to go somewhere then I don't mind if you take the food from the house and go. You're still a child so I think you should decide where you want to be in the end."

Denzel thought about what Ruvi said deeply. Then he asked the question he had been longing to ask during the day.

"Is it all right if I stayed here?"

Ruvi looked up from the book and smiled at Denzel.

Ever since then, Ruvi went about as she always did except she didn't clean the outside. Cleaning the outside became Denzel's job now.

He saw that construction had began on top of the Shinra building. Before long, a giant cannon was built on the top of the roof. Ruvi was told that Shinra was going to exterminate Meteo.

"That company is always wrong about something," said Ruvi shaking her head sadly.

Eventually, the cannon was fired once in some odd direction and broke down, collapsing to the grounds. Not long after that, Shinra itself was attacked and was destroyed. Denzel was thinking to himself what on earth could the monster have been. He couldn't imagine any monster that could destroy a building but decided against asking Ruvi. Meteo was in the sky as usual. In other areas, there was some huge disturbance but Denzel's daily life remained peaceful.