Chapter 31

For the following weeks I decided to take a break from my supernatural life. It wasn't as easy as I hoped it would be. There were times when I would have to call Damarius and ask for his help with feedings as my body became hungrier for souls. I never once felt the need to take a human soul; it was always just a want when I couldn't have what I actually desired. I tried to pay attention to my body so I could avoid going out in public and making a fool of myself. I also stayed in touch with my parents to make sure they were doing well from the loss of their friend, but I could tell they were struggling to wrap their heads around what happened. Some days were getting so rough for me mentally that I decided to take up therapy, but once I realized that I couldn't be honest with them about what was really going on, I ended it immediately. There were days that I went without eating or sleeping and my body never grew tired or ill. I would go on two or three runs a night to try and tire myself out but it only made me more alert. I was amazed at how strong this new me was, and every day it was my mission to find a routine that I could learn to live with. I took up Martial Arts, self defense classes, yoga, hell, I even read the Harry Potter series in 2 nights to keep my mind occupied. I was accomplishing more than I thought I ever could; I even made a new friend in the process. Devin was my self defense instructor, and we had become good friends over the four weeks we had spent training. He was surprised by how strong I was, and every time he mentioned it I would remind myself to hold back. He was human, and the only reason I knew that was because I had spent days learning the difference between the two. Immortals had much slower heart rates, if any. They were also much quieter, but their energy was loud. The hairs on my arms always stuck up when one was near, and everything around me would become quiet as I dialed in on their presence. Mortals were much more predictable and warm. They had so much life and a radiant light that shined through them, even on some of the saddest ones. It made me realize how precious human life was; something I never thought about before.

"You're not focused, and yet you're still strong as fuck," Devin said as he pinned my arms beside my head and I wrapped my ankles around his neck. I slammed him down on the mat and quickly came to my feet with a smile.

"You know, self defense classes are mainly for women because they can't overpower men. But I think you are stronger than most of us," Devin said as he slowly came to his feet. He was around five foot ten, 160 pounds, and had short brown hair and brown eyes. He was originally from up north unlike me, so his accent was very thick and noticeable. He had on a white shirt with dark grey joggers, but even the loose shirt still showed off his athletic figure.

"I still need your lessons. Even if the body is strong, knowledge is more important."

He smiled, knowing I quoted that from him. "Well, you have both now and I don't think you need my lessons anymore."

"Are you trying to get rid of me?" I teased him as I reached for my bottle of water.

"Maybe a little. My girlfriend is going to start getting suspicious if I keep coming home with bruises. She doesn't believe that a woman did this to me." He lifted up his shirt and showed me a purple bruise on his stomach. I almost spit out my water.

"Devin, I am so sorry."

He dropped his shirt. "I have enjoyed teaching you. And you are welcome to keep taking the classes. But I really don't think you need them anymore."

I gave a nod. I understood what he meant, but I had enjoyed talking to another human the past couple of weeks and being able to feel human again. I had grown fond of him and hearing about his girlfriend and the funny things she does to make him laugh. I respected men that talked about their relationships in front of other people. He was a very loyal and genuine person, and I didn't want to lose the fun times we were having.