Chapter 19

"Can you put this in the trunk too?" She asked as she handed me the two bags she was carrying. My hand brushed hers and I realized that the mark on my back hadn't burned this whole time. Did it only apply to Damarius and other demons? I remembered my dad hugging me  and his hand had brushed the back of my neck. Did the mark not work on humans at all? Why would Kamar mark me if it only applied to demons? It didn't make sense to me since he made it seem like he was so jealous. Was he not threatened by humans at all? I would have to ask Damarius about it when I got back.

"Ya'll must be fairly new," my mom said as I put on my seat-belt.

"Huh?"

"You and Damarius."

"Oh, yeah. We've been friends for a while though."

"Where did you meet him?"

In Limbo is what I wanted to say, but I couldn't remember if my mother's sense of humor was as dark as mine. 

"In Colorado. His brother actually helped us meet up." Which wasn't completely a lie.

"He has a brother? Is he just as tall and handsome?"

"Uh, yeah he's just as tall. He's not as nice though. He's kind of an asshole. No, scratch that. He IS an asshole."

She shot me a funny look. "Do I need to kick his ass?"

"No, Damarius does that just fine on his own."

"Do they not get along?" 

I rolled my eyes back and forth to figure out how to respond to that. "They're just very different men."

                 We stopped by a few more stores on the way home to pickup some plates and cups for the party. My mom said that all the neighbors were bringing a dish so we didn't have to cook everything. I was glad that everyone was so nice, and I felt a little bad for not greeting everyone yesterday. Sometimes my social anxiety really gets to me, and the fact that I brought a demon with me didn't make things any easier. 

"What's going on up here?" My mom asked as we both noticed the flashing blue lights up ahead. I looked around for any collisions but there were no damaged vehicles in sight.

"Maybe a license check?" I thought out loud, and she pointed to the dash so I could grab her paperwork.

"They never have one in the middle of the day. That's just weird," she said as she slowed down to dig through her wallet for her license. 

      The three policeman that were standing up ahead were all busy with the cars in front of us. I studied the one closest to us and he was average height, maybe 170 pounds, Caucasian, and had dark green eyes. They were all wearing those large Trooper hats and you could tell they all had a bullet proof vest on underneath their uniforms. My heart began to race as we approached him even though I knew we hadn't done anything wrong. My mom rolled down her window and handed her paperwork to him before he could ask. He gave her a friendly smile and took a quick glance at it. 

"This is an unusual time for a license check," my mom said to him in a friendly tone.

The officer nodded. "That's the point. Where is your license?"

"I handed it to you."

We both looked around to see if it dropped in the floor and I saw it fall out of the officer's hand.

"My apologies, I think I dropped it," he said as he gently placed his hand on my mom's arm before she could reach down and grab it. 

"Don't worry about it for now. The Council send your daughter a message."