Chapter 3

Considering that I didn't even go to sleep until after 4 AM, I don't know why I was so surprised when I woke up at 3:14 PM. I checked my phone and Sharon had bombarded me with pictures on what she should wear tonight. The club didn't even open until 9 and she was already trying to figure out her outfit. She said that Adam didn't care if she went as long as he went to. She felt bad about making me a third wheel but she promised me that he was going to hang out at the bar while we danced. I had met Adam a few times before and he never made me feel like a third wheel. He was very considerate of other people's feelings, and he was very protective of Sharon. I knew he wouldn't let her go to that club without him. I quickly shot her a text back on which outfit I thought looked the best and waited for her response.

Sharon: Do u wanna come over around 6 to get rdy together?

Me: Sure! I'll b there.

    I slid on some black lounge pants after brushing my teeth and running a brush through my hair before walking into the living room. The fireplace was on and the room smelt like fresh coffee. I walked around the couch and saw Damarius standing by the sliding glass doors as he stared out the window.

"Do you drink coffee?" I asked in surprise.

"No, I just felt you wake up so I wanted to have some made for you."

"You felt me wake up?"

He gave a nod. "Your heart beats faster when you wake up, and because of our bond, I don't have to be near you to notice it. Our bond blesses us with many perks that I can use to keep you safe."

"That's cool, I think."

He was wearing a dark grey sweater with black skinny jeans and white shoes. He looked so handsome and cozy at the same time. His facial hair was always neatly trimmed and he never let his hair grow too long on top. He was way out of my league as I stood there in a black night shirt and lounge pants. I quickly regretted walking out here in this garbage but there was nothing I could do now. 

"Can I ask you something?" I said as I headed into the kitchen to make me a cup of coffee. I had to search the cabinets for a mug until I realized Damarius had set me one out already.

"Yes."

"Why do you do these nice things for me when you're a free demon now? You don't even have to serve me."

"I am entitled to your soul, the most valuable thing a human can give a demon. I think that alone puts me in your debt."

"But you saved my life once before when I first agreed to the contract. And you've saved my life countless times since then. If anything, I'm in debt to you."

He stood there staring at me as I took a sip of the coffee and I felt completely uncomfortable.

"And why are you staring at me?"

"I thought it was important to humans to keep eye contact when having a conversation."

My cheeks were burning red. Was I overreacting? I turned around so my back was facing him and stared down at my coffee mug.

"I'm sorry. I'm just a little out of it today."

"But you're right, I don't have to serve you," his voice sounded a lot closer than it did a few moments ago. I slowly turned around to see him standing in the kitchen with me. The look on his face was unreadable, but something about the way he was standing there clenching his fists made him seem anxious. Or was he angry?

"You're the first human master to ever want to help me. You helped break the curse and set me free..." He looked like he was fighting himself not to say something, and it was kind of freaking me out. His shoulders were tense as he grabbed a hold of the counter and let out a grunt.