Chapter 16

After another hour of searching for any more human survivors in solemn silence, and only having a bit of luck, Optimus and Ratchet brought the remaining people, which counted up to be a little over three dozen out of the thousands that were already there, and brought them to their base. The adults and children all walked through the GroundBridge in wonder, despite that they were still in mourning. Taylor was still waiting atop the console when they arrived, her eyes immediately filling with tears when she saw them. She was in shocked silence for a while, but quickly began bursting out with questions and sobs. Ratchet hurried over to her and did his best to soothe her, which she did appreciate, but she insisted on getting down and speaking with the people. As soon as the medic complied, she raced over to Nurse Darby and threw her into a hug. Optimus spoke with the people for a little while, discussing their course of action here and where they could make there selves at home. Taylor ushered for them to follow her and brought them to a corner of the cave that held smaller rooms, where the former military base had constructed bedrooms no doubt.

Once the humans were taken care of, Optimus rose to his full height and turned his gaze over to his old friend. The medic was already making himself busy, furiously typing on the console, his gaze hard and angry. In his optic was a line of sorrow, but the rest of him was practically shaking in fury. It comforted the Prime to know he wasn't the only one who felt burning rage, but he also felt sad to see his friend falling into such furious despair. He joined his friend's side to see what he was searching for.

"Ratchet, are you able to locate the Nemesis?" he asked sternly, assuming that that was already what he was doing.

The old doctor nodded once, not taking his optic off the flickering screen. "I can trace where they are thanks to the tool I stole from them," he replied, tilting his helm to gesture to the remote control for the GroundBridges. 

Prime considered it lucky that the Decepticons hadn't thought the same to track them. "And we would be able to enter the ship without being detected?"

"If I coordinate it in a certain, unpopulated area of the ship, then yes," Ratchet said, still not looking away as he searched through different variables quickly. When the Prime nodded solemnly, he paused for a moment, turning with a sigh to face his old friend. "Optimus.. if we are to have a better chance at defeating Megatron, you will need more than your blades."

The Prime looked down at his servos, painfully reminded that he no longer had his long range weapons. He nodded solemnly again and looked to his medic again, wondering what he was trying to imply. Ratchet sighed again and shook his helm, turning his back abruptly and going back to his work.

"During the time you were in stasis, I did board the Decepticon warship and take some of their weapons," the doctor explained. "It's a good thing they're too busy controlling the entire planet to notice the small things," he added dryly, his voice nearly a growl. "They are in the vault behind the berth. Choose whichever ones fit you."

Optimus' optics lit up ever so slightly, a tiny smile reaching his derma. He was truly grateful to his old friend, and didn't need to really tell him that for Ratchet to know. The Prime turned after another nod and went where Ratchet had said the vault would be. He opened it easily, and indeed inside were several weapons, some in top shape. Optimus didn't have to wonder why they looked unused; Ratchet was better on the field than he let on, but he preferred to remain at work at a console. The Prime reached in, one blaster catching his optic, and took it in his servos. He lifted it with care, assessing its weight and how well it suited him. Something seemed to click and it fit perfectly in his grasp, like it had been made for him. He swung it left and right slightly before deciding that this would do well enough, if not better than all the other weapons inside. He turned his helm back and used his other servo to shuffle through the stash of blasters and odd looking machines. He pulled up something that looked like an arm band, similar to the long lost phase shifter, and slowly clung it behind his servo. He stared at it when nothing happened for a few moments, wondering what it's use was when it came to him. This was a shield; he remembered seeing it in the halls of Iacon. Though the name for it had been long lost, it was said that nearly nothing could penetrate it. The Prime thought for a moment, then stood and walked back over to where his old friend was still working.