Chapter 5

This time when Optimus woke, he came out of it slowly. The memory had made him feel weak, and his neck cables were aching as if they had been hit mere moments ago. He sat up slowly and rubbed the back of his helm, slowly going down to where he felt he had been struck. His optics slowly opened, adjusting quickly to the dim light. Ratchet was once again at his monitor, his back to the Prime. He hadn't seemed to notice that his leader was awake now. Optimus looked at his friend sadly, his optics downcast on the wound on Ratchet's side. He couldn't remember how he had obtained it, which bothered him. Had it been Megatron, or some other Decepticon.

"Ratchet," he said quietly, causing the said mech to jump harshly, turning sharply as if ready to attack.

The medic relaxed when he saw Optimus weakly sitting up on the berth. "Oh, Optimus," he sighed. "Don't do that."

The Prime looked at him sadly, something Ratchet was not quite used to seeing. He had been closest to Optimus, so he was often able to tell how the Prime was really feeling when he seemed to be calm. Still, seeing that expression on his friend's faceplate made him uncomfortable. He just wanted Optimus to be himself, but deep inside he knew that that could probably never happen again.

"I am sorry, old friend," Optimus said gently. His optics turned even more upset as they rested upon Ratchet's dead eye. The scar painfully reminded him of his dream and what Megatron had done to his comrades and closest friend.

"What? What is it?" Ratchet asked uncomfortably, noticing his stare.

The Prime shook his helm slightly, glancing away. "I dreamt another memory, Ratchet," he told him. He looked back up to the medic with pain in his optics. "I remember Bulkhead, and Wheeljack and Smokescreen..."

The old doctor sighed and looked down at his pedes. "Yes, that was a troubling time for all of us."

"Your optic.." Optimus whimpered, surprising the medic once again. "And... we were captured.."

"Is that as far as your memory goes?" Ratchet asked, switching into doctor mode and bringing a light to Optimus' optics. The sad Prime let him without any protest as he nodded solemnly.

"It is not as if... I don't know the fate of the others," he said with a shudder. "It is as though... my visual memory is slowly coming back.. I do not remember specific details until I see them again in my dreams.." He shuddered again as Ratchet finished his examination.

"You were hurt very badly, Optimus. I mean very badly," the doctor said, swallowing. "It was a miracle I was able to save you at all.."

"Which cost you your own health," Optimus said with realization. 

Ratchet looked away. "At the time, I was injured, yes." His mangled servo reached for his permanently injured side. "But your life was more important, Optimus."

Optimus sighed in defeat, knowing there was no point in arguing about it. He still felt terrible; his friend was so hurt, and he could do nothing about it, even though it was partially his fault. He glanced back up at his friend and placed on servo on Ratchet's shoulder plate.

"Thank you, old friend," he said gratefully, in a quiet, gentle voice.

Ratchet looked back at him, giving him a pained, forced smile. It hurt Optimus' spark to see it, but he returned it with one of his own, hopefully not as forced. Ratchet coughed slightly, making Optimus' faceplate twist with concern, but Ratchet waved his servo dismissively.

"I'm fine," he told the Prime. "Nothing I can't handle. I want to see how you're healing; could you stand for me?"

Optimus nodded, though still a bit worried, and slowly raised himself up his full height. His legs didn't feel as shaky anymore, and his pedes weren't in any kind of pain. The only thing he really felt was a slight squeeze in his chest chassis, but it quickly subsided. He moved his joints a bit, testing his ability. Nothing pained him especially, only the occasional tweak as he pulled a little farther than his chassis was comfortable with. He smiled slightly, pleased. Ratchet nodded, obviously satisfied as well.