Chapter 6

Ratchet's intel, wherever he had gotten it from, had proven true. As the two mechs walked through the Bridge, they arrived to a secluded mine. It looked as though there had been no activity for weeks. While there was not a lot of Energon, the veins were ripe and mostly untouched. Optimus found himself smiling at the sight of their life force, relieved that they had found some without a problem. Ratchet looked around nervously, but was satisfied when he found no activity.

"It seems we have been given a stroke of luck, old friend," Optimus said to Ratchet, walking over to the veins and placing a servo on them. "Can you help me cut it?"

Ratchet nodded, drawing his blade. "It will take a lot longer to cut it without the use of a laser, since they aren't processed into cubes."

"We will have to make do with these, then," Optimus said, drawing his own blades. He felt a twinge in his spark as he remembered that these were the only weapons he could wield, but shoved it away and focused on the task at hand. Ratchet told him how to carefully cut the Energon out without endangering the roots. Optimus nodded and did as he was instructed, Ratchet following suit.

The process went on for a few hours. When their servos were full of freshly cut Energon, they would open a Bridge and bring it back to their new base, before returning to continue. This repeated on and on as they mined, the work slow but the amount satisfactory. 

After about three hours passed, both bots were startled by a small clattering noise behind them. Ratchet swung around in a flash, his entire chassis tense and blades at the ready. Optimus turned around warily, fear pricking at his spark slightly. They were both confused when they heard small whispers but saw nothing. Ratchet got up and edged toward the noise, his optic narrowed. Optimus followed him as they turned the corner, before both were completely shocked at what they saw.

Two human femmes were huddled in a corner. One was being hugged by the older woman, her eyes squeezed shut with tears brimming and falling down her face. Her skin was tanned and her long hair was a platinum silver. She looked rather tiny in her tattered clothes, even for a human. She was shaking violently, and when she dared look up at the two Autobots, her watery ocean blue eyes were wide with fear. She held her hands over her mouth, as if she was afraid to make a sound, but they could hear soft whimpers from behind them. She looked away, closing her eyes again and shaking even harder.

The other was a middle aged woman, reaching the beginning of older age. Her eyes were a familiar deep blue, her face cupped like a heart. She was pale and thin, but still seemed like a strong women. She had her hair tied back in a loose ponytail, bangs swept to one side of her upper forehead. She was hugging the younger girl tightly, her own eyes wide in surprise. Behind the shivering young girl was a full nurse uniform, a yellow white coat over blue fabric. Her face turned from surprise and terror to one of shock and utter disbelief. Her mouth gaped open, but no noise came out for a few moments. Her grip loosened around the other femme, but the little one didn't let go of her.

"O-Optimus?" the older woman asked in disbelief, her eyes watering.

The two Autobots were taken back, before Ratchet recognized her and widened his optic in shock. "June?!" he cried, quickly going over to the woman.

"Ratchet!" she exclaimed. Relief flooded over her as he bent over, Optimus behind him. "You're both alive!"

Ratchet sighed, relieved as well. "Praise the Allspark that you're alright." He reached out gently with his good servo.

The other femme shrunk back, but June gently consoled her, reaching out and brushing Ratchet's digit with a smile. The young one relaxed only slightly, unsure of what to do next. She reluctantly let go of the nurse and looked up at the two bots. Optimus gave her a small smile. She didn't return it, backing away slowly.