Chapter 14

Months passed, and warmth was something Optimus never knew he would be blessed with again. Taylor's company not only improved his old friend's mood, but her sweet and gentle demeanor was comforting in the small base. Slowly, ever so slowly, the small place was becoming home. As the Prime would walk around, looking for things to pass the time with, the walls would look brighter instead of enclosed like a prison. Though his family was now small in size, it was big in heart. Ratchet was calm and more encouraging, even through his pain. Optimus continued to worry over him, but it gradually went down as he saw his emotional health improve. Taylor was growing ever sweeter, her true, unafraid colors slowly cracking her frightened shell. She was always with Ratchet, no matter where they went, which wasn't very much or far. Optimus was very fond of their company, and even though he was often still the non-conversationalist Prime, listening to them talk and seeing them bond was enough for him.

When the Autobots and Taylor went back to the mine to restock on Energon, Nurse Darby was almost always there, waiting for them. This made Optimus glad that she still felt closeness to them, even after what had happened to Jack. June would talk to them about the improvement of the human base, and one day, she wasn't the only one waiting for them. The voted "leaders" of the human association were also there, convinced by the nurse to join her. Everyone had been surprised, and the new people were most certainly frightened, due to their previous encounters with creatures like them. It had taken a lot of persuading from the Autotbots and human friends alike to convince them that Optimus and Ratchet meant no harm. Optimus offered protection to the humans, while Taylor promised that Ratchet would improve their technology. The medic had been skeptical at first, but during his time on Earth he had grown a liking for the humans, though he would never admit that. He agreed to their terms gently and without a fuss, which everyone was grateful for. Over time, more and more humans came to see their "protectors", and trust grew within the ranks. Optimus was nearly overjoyed with how well it was working out; and the people seemed ecstatic as well as Ratchet proved his intelligence to them by giving them higher suited tech. Ratchet was glad that, so far, the humans were too afraid to be greedy, and would only ask for things that were in everyone's best interests. He knew if their pride grew to high, their lives could be in danger.

It was a time before Optimus knew of Ratchet and Taylor's actual relationship, which surprised the Prime exponentially. Taylor had admitted it out of embarrassment when Optimus had caught her pecking the medic's faceplate lovingly. Ratchet had been much too flustered and embarrassed to say anything, a hot blue over his entire expression. The Prime had had no idea how to reply, his optics blinking a few times as it sank in. The air was uncomfortable, and eventually he began asking questions. Taylor answered truthfully, while Ratchet avoided optic contact. His behavior was almost funny to the Prime. It had been a long time since he had seen him that way, the last time being before the war. As Taylor explained as calmly as she could, Optimus slowly began to relax. It was something completely unexpected, but as he looked at them and their behavior for the next coupe of days, he found himself happy for them. They truly seemed to make each other happy, even in that dying world. Seeing them actually enjoying themselves after everything that they had seen and gone through gave Optimus extreme relief. The two slowly realized that their leader approved of them being together, and the air once again became cheerful. Optimus decided to himself that he would tell June about them later, not wanting to worry her or make her uncomfortable.

The Autobot leader missed his family terribly. Some days there was so much loneliness it hurt. His spark would ache for those he had lost over the years, not just the family he had made on earth, but the comrades he had lost during the war for Cybertron. He would often find himself lost in his memories of them, both the good and bad ones. However, he was slowly, ever so slowly, growing past the pain. He knew that deep inside, he would always know that loss, and that there would be times when it would come back to haunt him. But his previous promise kept him going; he wasn't going to let his team down again. He would be there for them, no matter what. It wasn't only the promise that encouraged him to take more steps forward. The love between him and his family now made his spark float in a unrelenting feeling. He was so proud for them, and loved them dearly. He wanted to always watch over them, but there were also times he knew that they watched over him as well. He was grateful for everything Ratchet had done for him, the loyalty and devotion of his best friend lifting his spirit. Taylor was always making sure he felt alright, talking to him more and more and enjoying herself. She was kind and caring, and very gentle. He admired her for that. June and the humans were so grateful and happy for everything for the Autobots, and did whatever small things they could to return the favor. Optimus found himself enjoying himself when the small human children would come out and do their best to play with the aliens. They loved to talk to him, and sometimes he would talk to them, telling them tales of their world before the war, and how it had been beautiful and boastful in life.