Chapter 2

Warning: This chapter contains a bit of gore and violence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few years ago...

Optimus looked over his team in worry. The loss of the children had been hard on all of them, including himself. It had already been a few weeks, but the only significant change was Agent Fowler. He had gone nearly back to normal, shouting angrily at them and demanding better results. They knew he missed the kids too, and Optimus had suspicions that he was actually angry with them for it, but he kept it to himself.

His team had all changed considerably. Bumblebee hadn't said a word to anyone, and didn't do much of anything. He would simply stare off into space. If something was needed of him he would do so without a word or hesitation. He was blank, like an empty shell. Bulkhead was depressed, and a bit angry. When he spoke, it sounded like a constant sigh. He didn't really have the desire to do anything, except take his anger out on the wall late at night. Ratchet was even worse. He was even snappier than usual, even getting angry with the Prime from time to time. Most of the 'bots didn't argue when he ordered them around, which seemed to make him even more angry for some reason. When he was silent or working, his optics were usually tired and sad. Optimus knew his old friend was having trouble resting, and that nightmares plagued him. Arcee... well, he barely knew how she was acting. He would have to guess distant, since she was always on patrol duty. She returned late every day and immediately went straight to her quarters, unwilling to talk to anyone. Optimus hadn't been able to actually speak to her yet. Smokescreen was trying to keep the mood up, but to no avail. He was often alone in the halls, a blank look over his faceplate. Ultra Magnus had no idea how to react. He was more silent than usual. He knew he actually missed the children, but didn't know whether it was appropriate or not to let his emotions get the better of him at a time like this. Wheeljack was always with Bulkhead. He missed the little wrecker, too, but he knew that Bulkhead had loved her more than he. He tried to comfort him the best he could, but his own efforts were dreary as well. 

Optimus knew that he himself was breaking as well. He had vowed that he would never allow human casualties, but in the end the ones he cared most about ended up dying. His spark ached for them, and he wanted to mourn just as much as the bots were. Just as much as their families had. He was sorry that only June Darby was the one who knew what had really happened to them. He still hadn't heard from her since then.

As much as he wanted to be upset with the others, he had to remain strong for the team. Times were tougher now, and he needed to stay the way he was if they were going to move past it. He kept his normal stance as calm leader, hoping that it would eventually reassure them.

It was a small hope.

"Prime!" Agent Fowler growled angrily. The man stormed into base with a furious look in his eye.

Optimus turned to the agent, while at the same time, an alarm started to go off. The bots all turned to Ratchet, who looked up at the monitor with a scowl.

"Decepticon activity," he grumbled. "What else?"

"Then your alarm should have been going off half an hour ago," Fowler hissed. "Those 'Cons have been wrecking a military base for nearly an hour now! 

The Autobots, who were surprisingly all present, gave each other woeful looks.

"The system must have a bug," Ratchet muttered. "I haven't been able to fix a few of them since.."

"Ratchet, open a Bridge," Optimus told his old friend gently. "Agent Fowler, you know I do not want any humans sacrificing their lives to the Decepticons."