Twenty

Billie

"Jacob Aaron!"

My eyes snap open as everyone around me starts clapping loudly and I look to the stage to see some guy walking across the stage to accept his diploma with a wide grin on his face.

It's graduation day for Alexis and Maia, and my whole family came to support both of them. Lexi wanted me to come but also said I don't have to because it would be boring; I didn't know she meant this boring. I dozed off during the speeches, but I'm awake and ready now because it shouldn't take too long for Lexi's name to be called.

"Jacob will be attending University of Michigan next fall," the dean of the school announces before passing the guy his diploma and shaking his hand for a photo op.

God, I don't care. Just get to Lexi and Maia and shut up already.

He goes through a couple more names and I feel myself starting to drift off again, resting my head on Finneas' shoulder as he sits beside me.

"Alexis Ackerman!"

At her name, I spring up from my seat and start clapping wildly. Finneas, Darius, Lexi's dad, and my parents do the same and me and Darius start to hoot and holler obnoxiously.

"That's my nerdy baby!" I shout proudly and Lexi must hear me because a wide smile spreads across her face.

"Alexis is graduating with honors and will be attending University of Southern California in the fall," the dean says before passing Lexi her diploma and posing for another picture.

As she smiles for the cameras her eyes find mine and I blow her a cheesy kiss, which makes her grin even wider. As she walks off the stage I sit back down, unable to wipe the proud smile off my face even when she's out of sight.

A few mind numbing hours later, the ceremony ends. I get up from my seat and bounce around, trying to get out all the jitters I had to keep down during the ceremony.

"Come on, I wanna see Lex!" I say excitedly then jog off to find her in the huge crowd of eager families.

After searching for a moment my eyes land on her, and she spots me a second later. She smiles happily and pushes through some people to get to me faster, immediately pulling me into a tight hug.

"I'm so proud of you," I mumble while I bury my face into her neck.

"I'm so happy you're here," she mumbles back and kisses the top of my head.

"Wouldn't miss it."

I pull back to look at her and reach up to play with the tassel that's hanging down from her graduation cap, the smile still on my lips.

"Look at you," I whisper proudly and she smiles softly. "You did it."

I glance down at her lips and resist the strong urge I feel to kiss them, because we're surrounded by the kind of people who would take pictures and videos to show everyone.

She opens her mouth to reply but before she can say anything someone suddenly plows into my side, which almost sends me tumbling to the ground.

"Billie!" a familiar voice squeals happily and I chuckle when I realize it's Maia.

"Hey cutie," I reply with a smile and hug her tightly after I regain my balance. "How does it feel to be done with high school?"

"Fucking amazing," she says and pulls away from the hug to look at me. "I'm glad you're here."

She kisses my cheek sweetly then looks at Alexis, who's standing in silence while looking a little bit awkward.

"Congrats on Yale," she says and Maia stares her down for a second before smiling.